Chapter Eighteen

Etta typically avoided the castle and nobility as much as possible. They had never taken kindly to her or her crew, and she wasn't exactly the picture of a lady that they expected. She was queen in her own right, with one hand pinning down a map and the other pointing at someone to hoist the mainsails. Now that she had retired and helped her crew start their new lives, she had become queen of the Crimson Sailboat. Nobles never bothered her, and she was content with that.

She guided her horse to a post just outside of the castle walls and dismounted. Etta clutched Alana's letter in her hand and approached the castle gates by foot, ready to confront the guards outside of it.

"Halt!" one of the guards ordered. He held his sword out to the side and blocked her path. "What business do you have?"

"I'm here to deliver a letter on behalf of a friend." She didn't know whether or not to bow, so she nodded politely. "I'm looking for Karis Griffin."

The guard's eyes flickered over to his partner. "After the events of the ball, we're not to allow any citizens onto castle grounds. Queen's orders. If you'd like, we can take a message," the partner said. He reached out to grab the letter, but Etta snatched it back.

Holding the letter against her chest, Etta glared at the two guards. "I'm sorry, but I've been told not to let this letter leave my person. I need to see Karis Griffin personally."

"You said this letter was on behalf of a friend, correct? Who is it from?"

She was not expecting this question. If Alana was wanted now, what would happen if she said who it was really from? Would they rip it up and send her away, or would they bring her to the dungeons on the spot for associating with her? Well, there was always a chance she would be escorted into the castle and given a direct audience before the queen. Etta decided to gamble. "Her name is Alana."

One of the guards lunged forward and grabbed Etta's arm at the sound of Alana's name. She tried to wrestle it out of his grip while still holding the letter, but it proved to be too difficult to manage. All she could do was protest. "Let me go!"

"Alert Queen Marjorie immediately. Then find General Griffin." The other guard ran off toward the castle as Etta was dragged along a path and onto the grounds.

A few minutes later, they waited in the main hall of the palace. The queen's throne sparkled at the end of a long corridor, currently empty. A door opened and a woman in a viridian green gown stepped out. "Her Royal Majesty, Queen Marjorie Divillier, and Her Royal Highness, Princess Harsha Divillier."

"Thank you, Lady Leela," Queen Marjorie said. The woman followed behind them. Instead of going to the throne, the queen and princess came straight up to Etta and paused a few feet in front of her. "I've been told that you have a message from General Alana Campbell."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Etta replied.

"What is your name?"

"Etta Graves."

The queen held out her hand as if expecting to receive the letter. Again, Etta brought it closer to her chest and held her head high. Queen Marjorie raised her eyebrows and glanced over at Princess Harsha, who had their arms crossed over their chest. Etta gave them both a grin. "With all due respect, I was given specific instructions. This letter will not leave my person until I can speak to Karis privately."

Harsha put her hand on the queen's shoulder. "That would be fine. Right, Your Majesty?" The queen's eyes flickered between Harsha and Etta, but she stepped back.

Just then, the doors to the hall burst open. A young man ran into the room and approached Queen Marjorie. He gave a quick bow, then clasped his hands in front of him. "Something happened with Alana?"