TWO

CHAPTER TWOwhat can go wrong, will: part 2

CHAPTER TWO
what can go wrong, will: part 2.

     FOR SOMEONE WITH NO social life, Gojo Satoru has a weird obsession with pretending to be busy. Mikio realizes this when Megumi tried calling him three times, only to get the ridiculous sound of their teacher's voicemail back. The first time she heard the annoying voice through the speakers of her brother's cellphone, she honestly thought the man had accidentally declined a call again. So, they tried a second— no dice. Mikio had no excuse for him then, growing irate at the thought of being ignored. She's fuming by the time the third attempt at a call ends in the same failure.

     "Question: when you were leaving the college, did Gojo have a mission at the same time?" she asks Megumi, watching him pocket his phone.

    She hasn't seen the institute since taking the first assignment she was given. Mikio was given the mission of assisting her senior, Nanami Kento, with exorcising some curses in the slums of Tokyo. They had finished in record time, both fueled by their similar urges to get home. Only one of them, however, was able to return to theirs.

    Shortly after completing that mission, Mikio's phone buzzed with another: accompany Toge Inumaki as he exorcises a horde of grade 2 curses in a city two hours away from where she stood. She only was to be there for healing purposes, making sure Inumaki-senpai didn't blow his vocal chords out beyond what his handy lozenges could fix. What had seemed like a simple exorcision task quickly became something deeper when the pair reached the city to find that it was an evil cult of three that was raising the curses to do their wicked biddings. So they had to destroy the little hell raisers, then find and detain the bastards who were nurturing them. That took two days, and required more from Mikio than just kissing booboos. The curse-cultivating trio was weak, barely giving them much fight when they were found. Taking them down didn't require the pair to call for outside assistance, which was good. Who knows how long they would've had to wait for a sorcerer with a free schedule to get there and help them out.

    She barely had time to wipe the sweat from her brow when it was all over when Gojo called her himself to tell her of the mission she and her brother had been assigned. The ass had the audacity to be surprised that her phone still had battery power to answer his call. Now she needed him to answer hers, and he's nowhere to be found.

     Idiot better be busy, she thinks, looking to her brother for answers.

     A shrug of his shoulders is all that she gets. "Not that I know of."

    Mikio's centimeters away from shouting, deciding at the very last second of her internal struggle that not even Gojo is worth losing composure over. She sits on the grass with a sigh deep as it is heavy, leaning against the legs of the Stevenson Screen with her eyes closed. Maybe she can get a short nap while her brother tries to get him. If she's lucky, he'd take a few hours to get back to them, giving her ample time to rest up.