9

Surprise! This chapter is gonna be in a different pov, and I hope everyone likes it.

Amari POV

It was hard living life when you could have died at any time. Luckily, I have my family, and they were able to help me through my recovery. I've never been happier than when I was finally able to be released from the everyday checkups and the hospital.

Scratch that. I think this is the happiest moment in my life.

I could hear the birds whistling as I woke up in the guest room with a weight pressing me down into the bed. Looking down I was met with a mop of red curly hair in my face. At some point in the night, Maeve had rolled on top of my chest. He was sooo cute!

I audibly squealed when he snuggled deeper into my hold. His small hands clutched onto my shirt tightly. I felt so much joy and love rush through my body as I tried to keep my excited jitters inside. I didn't want to wake sleeping beauty. I should have brought my phone to take a picture. Instead, I memorized the scene into my mind. 

I pet my fingers through his curly mess of bedhead. I wanted to tie his hair into little ponytails, but Kane might be angry that I messed with him. Another time then. 

My head fell back against the pillow as I continued to stroke his hair with a ginormous grin. Maeve had always been a little shy and standoffish, so asking me to sleep next to him was a bit of a surprise, but I couldn't say that I didn't like his momentary boldness. 

It was easy falling in love with Maeve. He was sweet like honey, and I was quick to get addicted to the taste. I knew it was the same for each of my lovers as well. I could tell by the soft gazes they constantly sent Maeve's way and how everyone practically melted when he smiled.

He had us wrapped around his little finger.

Maeve was just as charming as I remembered. He was the youngest out of us all, so he was the dear little baby that we adored and coddled. Even Father liked Maeve, and Father never liked anyone!

Maeve and Father were very close when we all still lived together. He used to call Maeve his favorite and take him to dinners and pull him out of school for whatever type of bonding they did. I never understood how they got along so well. It caused me to have a bit of resentment when dad- the only parental figure I'd ever known- cared for Maeve more than me. 

But even if I was jealous, it was impossible to be mad at sweet little Maeve.

When I got sick and wasn't allowed outside, he would collect little things from the forest and bring them to me as presents. I've always felt bad while remembering when I threw away a little bouquet he made me. I was a brat that didn't understand why I wasn't allowed outside, and I was quite mad at the world in general, but hearing Maeve excitedly tell me of his adventures outside made me bitter.

I would never forget how Maeve shut off when he watched the present fall into the trash. I expected him to get mad or yell at me, but he simply left the room. I felt bad the entire day after I told Kane what I did. I thought Maeve hated me.

Luckily, he showed up the next day after school just like always. I apologized, but he said it didn't matter as he showed me another bouquet he put together.

"I hope you like this one," his chubby hands pulled mine open and set several red flowers on my palm. My eyes were wet from apologizing for my actions. His eyes sparkled in happiness when I pulled the gift closer to examine it.

"Pretty," my comment was met with his toothless smile. He recently lost both his front baby teeth.

"They're called chry- chrysan...," he was adorable when he tried to say big words," chrysanthemums," he stuttered softly in the quiet room. Maeve was always quiet, even if no one was around. His excited eyes betrayed his calm exterior though. You could always tell what he felt through his forest green eyes.