5

Father kept me on a tight schedule. My body would not let me sleep past 6, so I was awake before everyone. It was awkward waking up in an unknown house. What was I supposed to do?

Instead of being productive, I just sat on the bed staring out of the window. The TV sat untouched as I examined the backyard. I was jealous of the beauty that was left in the wake of the sun. I watched as the lush grass swayed in the morning breeze. The trees that towered behind the stone fence promised adventure. I hoped I could explore the forest that sat around the home during my stay.

My sudden freedom left me inexperienced on how to act on my wants. As much as I wished to go outside right now; my brain made me second-guess my actions. Was I allowed to go outside? I didn't know the rules of the house. I wasn't even sure if I was allowed to roam around without someone to accompany me. In the back of my mind, I knew that was stupid. But it was so hard to believe the voice that I had pushed back for 6 years.

I sat still for as long as I could, but my unbrushed teeth and old turtle neck sweater from the day before called me towards the attached bathroom. I quickly unpacked my two bags of belongings in order to put them away. My luggage was only composed of clothes. I had corduroy pants, two loose dress pants, three turtle necks sweaters(forest green, black, baby blue). It was a wardrobe made to hide my scarred body. Luckily, it was winter, and the cold weather gave me a good reason to wear the stuffy clothes.

I would be gone before summer anyway, so no need to get creative in hiding my scars.

My hands wiped away the steam on the mirror after the hot shower. My dark red hair hung in front of my eyes. The water made it lose its curls. I quickly turned away as I rubbed away the moisture with a towel. I did not like looking at my body.

Father didn't let me eat much and exercise at all. I doubt I would be able to do more than 10 pushups. It was embarrassing how skinny I was despite my height. It was even more impossible to love myself with the damage across my skin. I refused to admire myself in the mirror; I knew I would hate what I saw.

A small tap on the bedroom door came as I pulled on my blue sweater. 

"Maeve?" a sweet voice called. I peeked out as I opened it a crack; soft pink eyes met mine. 

"Hi Morgan," I greeted awkwardly. My eyes traveled from his disheveled white hair to his adorable pink pajamas. His shorts revealed his slender legs- it seems he wasn't the type to get cold. 

"Good morning," my eyes shot up to meet his as he gave me a tight-lipped smile. I hope he didn't catch me staring. My eyes seemed to travel a lot around the men of this house.

I almost flinched as he stepped towards me in the doorway and offered his hand. After a second, I placed my hand on his as he gripped it tight and brought it to his face.

"Gosh! Your hands are so cold," his pretty eyes met mine as he cupped both of his hands around mine. I liked how warm he was, and it seemed the heat from our hands traveled all the way to my cheeks.

I took the chance to admire his round face. His button nose was resting softly just above his pink lips. There were acne scars dotting his forehead, but they weren't very visible under what looked like a small layer of foundation. There was a light dusting of blue across his eyelids and his long lashes very accentuated by mascara. How pretty. 

"How did you sleep?" His eyes sparkled and his voice rang like bells. 

"...Good." It was as if we were in a world of our own. In a quiet, cold hallway, holding hands with a whispered conversation. 

"We were the last ones to wake up, so everyone is in the kitchen right now." He let go of my hands in order to lead us out of the hallway towards a brightly lit room. I sort of remembered the room we walked into from last night, but it looked so different in the sun.