~Chapter One~

~Chapter One~

A lot can happen in summer and a lot can change. Everything felt different when I saw the creatures pulling the carriages to Hogwarts. I had become a completely different person and I do not think my Gryffindor friends would even recognise me now.

My new friend offered me his hand to climb into the carriage. "Thank you, Draco." I smiled.

I had become quite protective over Draco during my time staying at Malfoy Manor and that was not about to change once we reached school. He was the only thing that made me smile in that terrible place. I had to endure his awful friends on the train and again on these carriages. They kept trying to make conversation with me but all I did was stare at the creatures.

Sitting at the back I was able hang my hand out of the carriage and play with the wind. I had come so far with my magic over the summer thanks to my evil teacher Lord Voldemort. Everything magical came easily now but that was not making my nerves any better about Hogwarts. I was making the air spin in my fingers to calm my nerves. I loved using the elements.

As we pulled up, we were greeted by Professor Sprout who was lovely as always. I was a little deflated when it was not Professor Snape though. The Dark Lord never paired me with him for tasks but when I caught his eye at training my little crush increased.

"What's wrong Kat?" Draco asked when I stopped in my tracks.

Looking at the tables set out perfectly in front of me I realised something. I had changed too much to take my old place at the Gryffindor table and I had the scars to prove it.

"I'm not a Gryffindor anymore." I said shaking my head.

Draco took my hand and pulled me into the Great Hall. "You're Katrina frigging Karkaroff and you can be whoever you want to be." He said being supportive.

Not one of his Slytherin friends questioned our new friendship. I quickly learned over the summer to not show any weakness but from the first time Draco picked me up from my bedroom floor I began to trust him.

Luckily as I had come in with the Slytherin's, I did not have to face Hermione or Seamus yet. Say what you like about Slytherin's, but they loved to be early and prepared. They would probably win the cup every year if Dumbledore did not play favourites.

I gave Draco a kiss on the cheek and waved goodbye to him as I made my way over to the top table. I knew exactly what I needed to do, and I was not going to take no for an answer.

"Professor Dumbledore?" I felt more assertive now I had control over my magic. I was less the scared unhinged, girl and more the dangerous, damaged girl.

"Miss Karkaroff. Happy to be back?" Dumbledore turned around and smiled towards me.

Be his spy he said. Whatever it takes to get the job done. Well doing his dirty work has taken a lot from me and I don't think I'll ever be able to look at this man like other students in this school do.

"I need to be sorted again. I've changed too much." I dared him to challenge me.

He nodded and I stood to the side while we waited for the rest of the school and the first years to enter. I looked to the top table but there was no sign of Professor Snape. I shook my head at my stupidity. Stop thinking about him Katrina. Never going to happen.

I saw Hermione walk in with her friends, but they were too deep in conversation to see me stood at the top of the Hall. I hope she understands my decision to get sorted again.

I grabbed my head in pain when my eyes met Professor Snapes. This had happened a few times, but the Dark Lord said it was because my grandmother took my memories away all those years ago. The pain stops after a minute or so.