6: Cafeteria Scandal

The Cafeteria Scandal

A ringing sound echoed unto my ears. As my vision gradually regained, I was flabbergasted to fully visualize the ceiling of my room. I jerked my head to every corner of the room and was now ascertained that I was Philip again. But honestly, I was even surprised that I'd woken up in the world where I truly belonged. I've been in Hardovia for a short time, but it felt like forever, as so many have happened. When I was in Hardovia, I was convinced that all that was happening there were real, but I couldn't stop asking myself when I returned. I was then confused and terrified to discover that I could also dream in that world. That broke the differentiation that I concluded for both worlds. I just didn't live Arthur's body. It was Arthur I embodied. I believed in multiple universes or other dimensions. After all the information I recently acquired, I could definitely say that I am a variant of Arthur in this world. But I now wondered where Arthur was all along. There must be some reason I suddenly live in his body or his own world.

We couldn't possibly switch places because if so, Arthur must have woken up in my world and lived my life just like what was happening to me in his own world. If I remember correctly, I started waking up in Hardovia after Merlin used teleportation magic at the cliff. Merlin wasn't a pro in that spell, so he must've accidentally created a glitch that teleported a variant of Arthur from another dimension instead of Arthur himself. Merlin was overpowered if that was the case. I bet Merlin also didn't know that his version of Arthur wasn't around.

"He mustn't be dead. I can't live his life forever. It will tear my brain apart. Besides, he has royal blood. Arthur is the next in line for the throne if the King only had a son." I mumbled as my body gradually regained strength.

The mission awaiting me in Hardovia quickly passed on my thinking. I even slept, thinking about the next day so we could start the task. It was a critical mission, and I mustn't miss it. But it seemed like it had to wait. Now that I'm in my world, I must live with it.

"If I continue waking up as Arthur, I will live his life at best."

It was already 6:30 in the morning, so I stretched my body up to relieve myself from sleepiness. I took the towel and went to the shower to start the day. I dressed, grabbed my bag, and went to the kitchen to eat breakfast. A sizzling sound got louder together, with an appetizing scent that got stronger as I stepped closer.

"Good thing you're back to being early," said my mom as she cooked breakfast.

"Good morning, mom." I greeted. "Where's dad?" I added.

"He headed to work very early. Oh! Before I forget. Your dad has a present for you."

"What? Where?"

"On the living room."

I quickly headed to it and searched for the said gift. A small white box tied with a red ribbon was at the table near the couch. I took a seat and opened the present. My eyes widened, and I gasped when I saw what was inside. It was a black watch with a touch of silver. The expensiveness couldn't be denied as the brand was a well-known luxury in the market. I'd always been saving for it since my high school days. I could only see it behind the store's glass pane before, but now — it was lying in my bare hands, and my wrist was never this ready for an accessory.

"Your father is sorry because his birthday gift for you is late," Mom said as she stood behind the couch, watching me.

"It's okay, but... how did he know I wanted this watch?" I ask.

"Because you're his son, our son."

"That's not a valid reason, mom."

My mom giggled and responded, "I sometimes check the browsing history on your computer. I saw you searching for that watch for years, honey."