˗ˋ 02

CHAPTER TWO

-: the beginnings :-

── IN WHICH THEY'RE ASSIGNED THE CASE

. . .

"YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN WHAT?" Kingsley's voice echoed around their tiny office, the shared confines causing the words to become even louder. The man was sat at his desk, watching as Ophelia rushed around, tugging off several things off the wall.

"Fuck sake - who uses a permanent sticking charm in a situation like this?" The Diggory girl didn't answer as she tried to pry a newspaper cutting from the wall. "It isn't even that important.. oh well - incendio." 

Kingsley waited as she watched the newspaper clipping erupt into flames, shrivelling up into ash and the fire disappearing as Ophelia put it out, producing water from the tip of her wand. 

"Ophelia - why were you called down to Courtroom 4?" Kingsley changed his approach, as she used a rag to soak up any remaining water. "What happened?"

"I'll start from the beginning, just hold on." Ophelia replied, sitting down at her own desk, clearing her throat before beginning. "On our first day Orion Black came in - I didn't know it was hime, of course - and he seemed upset. So I talked to him, gave him tea for his cough and he explained that his son was missing."

The Shacklebolt man stared at her, calm eyes remaining as so even with the names that were thrown at him. "You didn't think to ask about his son?" Kingsley knew for a fact which son Orion Black was talking about - he had dormed with Sirius Black all through his years at Hogwarts and if he had gone missing, James Potter would have been making some form of racket within mere hours of learning about it.

"Well he seemed so upset about it that I didn't want to make it any worse.. I also assumed that if he was there then he had already contacted Mr Fawley for an appointment." Ophelia replied. "So then I was called down to the Courtroom and they were reading his will.. and he left an instruction to set up an investigation into his son's disappearance and wanted me to be in charge of it."

"So you've been assigned Regulus Black's case?" Kingsley asked, making sure that what information he had drawn from that explanation was the right conclusion. "Orion Black asked for you to help find his missing son?"

"That's right." Ophelia nodded, sitting up a little in her seat. "Well  I haven't been assigned it yet.. properly. Mr Fawley is just putting together the basic files to start me off - and of course he has to assign you to it as well, as well as get a copy of the will for that paragraph.. I have a meeting with him at the end of the day when I'll find out everything."

"Assign me?" At his own desk, Kingsley was looking across at Ophelia with wide eyes. "What do you mean, assign me?"

"You're my partner Kingsley! Of course you're going to be working it with me." The girl replied, shocked that he was even asking her this. "Don't you see - this is our chance to prove ourselves and show that we're more capable than investigating exploding toilets and who on earth turned Nelson's Column in the middle of Trafalgar Square upside down."

"That one was.. particularily embarassing." Kingsley nodded, gaze drifting over to the large corkboard that was pinned to the wall of each office, then looking out of the windows at the end of their room, which overlooked the golden statue above the fountain.