˗ˋ 06

CHAPTER SIX

-: the beginnings :-

── IN WHICH THE DIGGORYS
WORRY

. . .

WITH HER BLACK LEATHER BLAZER wrapped around her torso, Ophelia stepped out of her apartment, turning to lock her door. Her wand was pointed at the lock, and with a muttered 'alohomora' and testing the handle, she was on her way. 

There was almost a spring in her step as she descended down the staircase - something which her landlord (a detestable woman named Esther, who seemed to want to suck the happiness out of everything - frowned upon. 

Ophelia, despite her lack of breakthroughs with Sirius's attitude and having gone to bed with her hand hurting several nights in a row because of her job of writing up the transcripts of her interviews of with the boys, had decided she wasn't going to be discouraged and attempt to have only positive days to come.

Feeling negative or down would only cloud her mind and judgement in her decisions and thoughts of what had happened. Sirius seemed to be having fun messing her around whilst he directed all of the questions about his brother completely elsewhere, so why shouldn't she try the same? 

Glancing around as inconspicuously as she could manage, Ophelia made sure that nobody's focus was on her before diverting her course down the alleyway besides her building. There, she passed several bins and deconstructed cardboard boxes, coming to a stop besides one particularly large rubbish bin, which hid her rather well. 

She envisioned the storage cupboard at the muggle underground stop - she always locked it with magic and had stolen the key to get to it when she first began this particular route to the Ministry - and seconds later she felt the familiar feeling that was alike to being sucked up into a tube and with a pop, she had left the alleyway. 

With a second pop, she appeared in the storage cupboard and very narrowly avoided crashing into the one broom that she had left in there and could never be bothered moving. Her hand darted out to steady herself against the metal shelving frame and, after readjusting herself and hiding her clutched wand in her sleeve, she unlocked the door and stepped out into the only slightly busy station. 

Having locked the door, it wasn't long until she was on the train, hand wrapped around one of the only free metal poles and glancing around curiously at the abundance of muggles around her. 

She had mastered the art of dressing just like them years ago, and fit right in. But without even trying she felt that little bit out of place. Sat a few seats away, there was a wizard she recognised who worked in the Department of International Magical Cooperation and their eyes met, nodding their heads just slightly as signs of acknowledgement. 

The both of them disembarked at the same time, naturally migrating closer together as they began to climb their way to the top. "How's the Regulus Black case coming along?" The man asked in a quite tone when they finally arrived ar the top and walked side by side towards the toilets at Whitehall that was the entrance to the Ministry. 

"You've heard about that?" Ophelia asked, racking her brains to try and figure out exactly where she knew him from. He was her age - so he must have been in one of her classes. But which, she admittedly wasn't too sure.

"Everyone's heard about it, you should have heard them talking about it when it was first announced. All they could talk about was the newest auror being named in Orion Black's Will and being the one to lead the search for his infamous Death Eater son." The man replied, adjusting his tie in the reflection of a window before following her down the steps, standing apart as they joined the back of the queues into the underground toilets. 

"Well.. if any more conversations occur, you can let them know it's going as well as anyone would expect." Ophelia knew that she wasn't allowed to give out information - so she left it ambiguous. 

"Of course. Nice to see you again." The man was progressing forward in the queue - the one for the mens seemed so much quicker than the girls. "And I'll be seeing you daily, I'm guessing."

"Nice to see you as well - glad that it's going well for you." Ophelia rather suddenly remembered him from her Ancient Runes class - he was called Jack. She rose her hand in a polite wave as he disappeared inside, before falling silent and continuing her wait.

Eventually, the line shuffled forward and Ophelia was stood in front of a stall, the gold coin she had dug out of her coat pocket between her fingers and being slotted down. The door swung open and she stepped inside.

Far too used to entering this way for her liking, Ophelia balanced herself on the side of the stall, climbing into the toilet. She felt incredibly foolish everytime she did it, but the only slightly heeled boots she wore and the end of her trousers remained dry and with a sigh, she reached for the handle and flushed. 

She emerged into one of the fire places on the left side of the Atrium, joining the steady stream of witches and wizards as they made their way to work. Passing through the magical scanners was no bother with her identity card, however it seemed to become even busier in the area behind it, besides the Fountain of Magical Brethren, and she became lost in the fray. 

Eventually, Ophelia managed to get out of the thickest parts, only to find herself right besides a queue of Department For the Regulation and Control of Mgaical Creatures employees for the lift down to their level. And among them, her brother Amos.

"Amos Diggory - you've finally grown a beard!" Ophelia's original words of greeting were changed once Amos had heard his name and turned around, smiling at his sibling and exiting out of the queue, pulling her into one of the nearby corridors, away from the hubbub. 

"I've been wanting a word with you - but I assumed it would have to be through owl poster or me turning up in your apartment." Amos smiled. "And yes - I finally grew a beard; Mum got me a special potion that was supposed to help."

"Well I can say it easily did help." Ophelia mused, eyeing the steadily growing hair on his cheek. "You'll be all scratchy now. And what on earth about?"

"All I've been hearing from Mum and Dad is about how worried they are. News has spread fast about your case." Amos looked down at her, leaning against the wall. "They think Death Eaters are gonna come after you and either kill you or kidnap you and then force you to join their side. And I admit that I am rather worried myself, I mean - this could be dangerous"

"Have they - and you - forgotten just how good I am at duelling? And that I'm Auror - I mean I must have done something right to be the only girl for years." Ophelia wrinkled her nose. "I mean I'm going to find Regulus, not find out his weird You-Know-Who secrets and Remus." 

"Pardon?" Amos blinked, seeing her gaze back through the double doors into the Atrium.

"That's Remus Lupin - Amos, I've got to go." Ophelia was out of the door before her brother could reply, and with a sigh, Amos made his way to joint the queue for the lift again.