˗ˋ 07

CHAPTER SEVEN

-: the beginnings :-

── IN WHICH REMUS REVEALS
A KEY FACT

. . .

"MR LUPIN! MR LUPIN!" Ophelia's voice carried over the crowds with a lack of ease, the girl ultimately having to raise her voice to considerably louder volumes just for Remus to hear her. 

He stopped midway through his journey, turning in his place. As luck would have it, Remus managed to spot Ophelia as she struggled through the crowds and stepped to the side, holding out a hand to pull the much shorter girl to safety. 

"Good morning Ophelia." The Lupin boy smiled warmly. "And it's just Remus. Like the others are so ready to remind you, we did go to school together. And if I remember correctly we had more classes together than the others."

"That is correct.. Remus." Ophelia smiled, tucking a loose curl of hair behind her ears. "Sorry, I just want to appear as professional as I can be."

"I get it." Remus nodded encouragingly. "Well.. not really. But you're the only girl in the Auror Department right? I'm not surprised you're holding yourself to higher standards. With people surrounding you like that, I'm not surprised." He had his own experiences as well with prejudiced men in authority, although the Diggory girl knew nothing of that or the reasons behind it.

Ophelia was reminded rather suddenly of when, after several classes of Potions with Remus, every girl he was ever partnered up with came away with some sort of crush on him. It was just a guess, but she was almost convinced this was why. 

"You're right, I am." Ophelia replied. "But enough about that awfully sexist department... what are you doing here? Did Kingsley owl you to come?"

"Ah.." Remus' ears turned pink and he rubbed the back of his neck. "Actually.. I came to get a muffin."

"Pardon?"

"A muffin." Remus confirmed with a shy nod. "Sirius really liked the pumpkin and cheese muffins from the cafeteria here last time we came and I agreed to try and get him one."

Ophelia let her eyes slide over the crowd. "He didn't come himself?" She asked. It was a stupid question - it was so obvious that Sirius was not there, but a part of her didn't want to ask outright why that was. 

"No.. he sent me." The Lupin boy swallowed. "I'd feel bad lying to you, so I'll just tell you why." He was quick to come to the conclusion after seeing her rather suspicious expression. "He's avoiding you questioning him. Didn't want to come in case he could have ended up in this situation." 

"I see." Ophelia said. "Remus, why don't you come up to my office? If it's okay I can ask a few more questions about Regulus and Sirius." 

"If you think that it'll help the investigation." Remus agreed easily, and moments later he was following her through the crowd and back into one of the small hallways. 

"Sorry that we can't take the lifts." Ophelia looked back at him, currently leading the way. "They're way too overcrowded at this time and besides, the Department is only a level up from the Atrium."