The soothing of the waves

(Long chapter)

"Naruto..." a painfully familiar voice said weakly, "I'm glad that I've met you."

All around them, it was pandemonium. Fires were raging in the distance, the land was scarred and barren – devoid of life, only leaving a desolate wasteland in its wake. The figure that had spoken was leaning bonelessly against his body, blood dripping from his mouth in a never-ending stream.

"No!" he gripped the figure's torn flak jacket tighter, ignoring the protruding steaks that had pierced the figure's back. "I won't let you die, Neji! You hear me?!"

Neji smiled weakly, his headband falling from his forehead, revealing the green sealing cross-like matrix of the Hyūga Caged Bird Seal.

The seal, that protects the Byakugan.

"Death is something that everyone must face eventually," Neji said, coughing out blood. "My death is no different. It's everyone's final fate."

Naruto gritted his teeth, fat hot tears streaming down his face. One of his closest friends had just protected him from a fatal attack, and was dying right in his arms. He had vowed at the start of the war to protect everyone, but that had been for naught.

Neji was dying, because he was careless.

Neji was dying, because he wasn't strong enough.

Neji was dying, because he was so Kami damned useless.

He forced out a chuckle. A dry, humorless chuckle that radiated with his utter anguish and turmoil he was feeling at the moment.

"You always were stuck with that fate complex, even after I've kicked your sorry butt." Naruto said jokingly. Beside him, Hinata cried silently as she watched the last moments of her beloved cousin.

"Naruto..." Neji smiled his most brilliant smile yet, even when his pale eyes were fading rapidly. "I leave Hinata-sama... in your care." He rasped, "Please... take care of her."

A choked sob escaped him. Naruto hung his head, holding the elder Hyūga male close to him, as if to bring the other man comfort in his final moments. Steeling his wavering nerves, he managed a curt, but firm nod, solidifying his decision.

"I will."

"Good..."

Neji coughed once more, his body becoming heavier and heavier by the minute. Naruto forced himself to not break down into sobs, as it was time for Neji to leave. To join his parents with Kami-sama above.

"Goodbye, Naruto, Hinata-sama... it has been an honor, fighting by your side." And with those parting words, his body fell limp, unmoving and starting to become cold.

And thus, the life of one Hyūga Neji, Jōnin of Konoha, was ended.

Naruto awoke with a jolt as he sat upright, his breathing coming out and in pants and sweating profusely as the nightmare faded from his consciousness, finding himself sitting on his futon. Taking deep breaths to calm down his heartbeat, Naruto sighed as he ran his hand across his face and through his blonde locks.

It had been a long time since he had reminisced about the Fourth War, about the countless deaths of his comrades and friends. He supposed what with dealing with Konoha's Council, his duty as a shinobi, his plans for the future, and Naruko's constant presence, he had buried them to the deep recesses of his mind.