Chapter 10: Sanatorium Part 2:

We turn the corner and see the wolf staring at something. We walk closer and see a wolf  attached to a cell door. Its insides are almost completely gone. Its head is barely hanging onto its body.

"Jesus.." I mumble.

"Sorry boy. That's terrible." Mike says solemnly.

We walk away, not bearing to watch the terrible sight any longer. I see a sign hanging down from the ceiling.

"Psych Ward. B wing." I mumble.

We search a few rooms for a staircase, but don't find one. We walk into the last room and see what looks like a projector. One of the walls is broken open, giving us another path. I walk over to the projector and see the tape still in it. I turn it on and to my surprise it works.

A black and white film starts to play. A man is sitting on a medical table in the distance, a nurse walking up to him. She gives him something and walks away. The film cuts out for a second. When it comes on the man is strapped down by his chest and he is shaking around. It cuts out again. When it cuts back in, the man is getting out of his restraints. He turns to the wall and starts climbing up the side, making it to the ceiling. The tape cuts out and starts repeating again.

"What the hell did that testing do to them?" I ask no one.

I look around and see a filing cabinet in the corner.

"I'm gonna check that room okay?" Mike asks, hinting to the open wall.

"I'll check these reports and head your way."

He nods and goes into the room.

I open the filing cabinet and find no files. I look around and find a desk with drawers. I open one and see a file. Bingo. I pick up the file and place it on the desk. I open it to see a patient report. The man looks completely normal, other than looking a bit malnourished. I read the report under the photo. He's normal other than something with his back. Some sort of curvature. The medical terms are a bit confusing but I can make most of them out.

I flip the page and see him change. His eyes are sunken back and his mouth slightly hangs open. I read the report. His teeth are starting to point and hair is falling out. Something is severe about his nose. It's collapsing?

There is one more page. I flip and see the man, now like a creature, like in the drawings. Flaky and cracked skin with glazed over white eyes. No meat on its bones. It has its mouth open in what looks like a screech. I read the report. His upper teeth have grown up to an inch. All of his hair has been lost. His nose is almost nothing, just the holes of where the nostrils used to be.

'Testing complete.' The report finishes.

I feel a hand grasp my shoulder and I jump out of my skin.

"Hey, sorry I scared you. It's just me." Mike says.

I put my hand on my heart, it's beating what feels like a million beats per second.

"Its okay Mike.." I say, catching the breath I didn't know I lost.

"I found another way, a staircase."

I nod and follow him out, leaving the files. What the hell was this sanatorium doing to these miners. Apparently they came in already messed up, but what were the tests doing to them? Driving them mad for sure. I look around and see wolfie waiting.

"You okay?" Mike asks me.

"Yeah, sorry I didn't even hear you before."

"What'd you find?" He asks as we head up the cracked and broken staircase.