Chapter 12: Nevermore

Josh's screams faded away what feels like hours ago. We've both so shocked to talk. We came so close. Josh could have been Mike. Or me if Mike didn't grab me.

"How the hell did you know?" I ask, turning back to him.

"I saw the wendigo sticking its head out of the water and coming towards us. I made it seem like it got me, but I could only save you. It was too close to get Josh without the three of us being noticed." Mike says.

I shake my head in disbelief and look around at the different areas of land. I spot one that looks like it has a bundle of things, in a pile almost.

"Mike, there's something over there." I say pointing to a small area of land not connected to the area with the metal door.

We slowly and wearily walk over, the cold water shocking us again as not moving prior made it a bit warmer. It's also at such an awkward height. Not enough to swim in, but feeling a bit too deep walk through. We reach the landing and pull ourselves up and out of the water. Mike gives me his flashlight and I shine it around. I see something metal and pick it up. It looks like a necklace. A locket. I open it and recognize that its Hannah's. The one she always used to wear.

"I found something." Mike says.

I put her locket into the safety of my pocket and go over to him. I give him the light and he shines it on what he found.

"Is that a book?" I ask, picking it up.

I open it, guided by Mike's light, and notice it's a journal. A diary. I recognize the writing almost immediately.

"Mike, this is Hannah's writing."

"How do you know?" Mike asks.

"Don't call me cheesy, but when Hannah and I were little, about 9 or 10, we would write each other letters. We loved the thrill of opening the letter to read what the other was saying. She had the neatest and bubbliest writing I've ever seen. I could recognize it anywhere."

I flip to the first page and read the top.

"This was four days after last year. She really was down here."

I flip the pages and see changes. Her writing gets messier and more scribbly. Her sentences get simpler, less words. The dates get longer. I flip to the last dated day.

'Day 30' is the date. It's hard to make out because it was scribbled. The page has only one word on it. Scribbled, scratched over and over again. 'Hungry' A shiver goes up my spine.

"Mike, you don't think she..."

"Em said Beth's grave was dug up.."

"She was starving... One of the pages. She said 'Beth I have no choice. If anyone finds this... im sorry.' Mike..." I say.

"No..."

"Mike, Hannah... dug up Beth!"

Mike moves the light away and stands up. He looks in a state of shock.

"Come on, we gotta go." Mike says getting back into the water quickly.

I put the journal back down and get into the water after Mike and follow his lead towards the ledge by the door. As I walk, it gets deeper. At first, I don't say anything, thinking it will get shallower, but it doesn't. I try moving more to the right to see if it's just a dip, but it's too deep there too. I get to the point of having to swim, but the water is strangely thick. Ugh. Who knows what's making it this thick. God I don't even wanna think about that. It almost weighs me down more trying to swim, rising up higher than I would have liked. It's more of a risk to go a longer way, another one of those things possibly being down here. It would take longer anyway, Mike's already ahead since I stopped. I stop trying to swim and go back to where I can stand.