Chapter 24 - The Torture of Playing Nice

Sacha's mood turns sour right after I mentioned Mike and Johny, so I escape into my bedroom while he's talking to the two new bodyguards.

I get up early the next morning to change into a blue spandex top teamed with blue cropped leggings and a pair of black runners. I gather my hair up into a messy bun and step into the well-equipped home gym.

I find him still on the treadmill and we end up working out together. He has his earbuds on and so do I, so we don't talk.

With my sensitive hearing, my music is at the lowest volume. I can barely hear his as well, so I wonder if a Nephilim's hearing is like mine.

"You can't keep me locked inside this place indefinitely, you know," I tell him an hour later when he slings a towel over his shoulders, ready to leave.

He's taken off his shirt a while ago and now he's only in his Under Armour gym shorts. His muscles are on display. His dark hair is plastered to his face and his neck, his body is glistening with sweat and I find that very fascinating.

I reach for my own towel and wipe my neck even though I feel like fanning my heated face and body with it.

His eyes wander up and down my body and linger on places like my butt and my chest before they make their way slowly up to lock with mine. He's not even embarrassed to be caught staring. In fact, he acts like he has all the right to look at any part of me, anytime he wants.

"Have anyone ever asked you where you're going or when you're going to be home, princess?" he asks, taking a slow step closer and just like that, the air suddenly crackles around us. "I bet no one ever cared." He takes another step closer.

That's true. No one cared where I'd been or where I was going unless they needed me for something.

"Are you saying that you care?" I challenge, not backing up an inch.

He stops in his track and his eyes suddenly narrow. "I'll let you earn your freedom, princess. You behave, and you'll get to go out."

"I can go wherever I want?"

"Wherever you want," he says with a nod.

I'm about to brush past him to get out before he changes his mind when he grabs my arm. "Within reason," he adds, his eyes drop down to my lips. Warmth and tingles spread through my body from his touch, his looks, and his scent while his words make me want to scream.

I wanted to slap him silly as much as I want to kiss his lips.

We stand there staring at each other like we're waiting for something. Waiting for the other one to break first. The air crackles, my heart is thundering in my chest, and I feel as if I was about to combust.

A while later, he lets me go. His thumb brushes over my skin as if to prolong the contact and it looks as though he's swaying a little on his feet toward me before he straightens up and walks away without a backward glance.

I could throw a tantrum and create havoc if I wanted to, but I'll play nice. This time.

He leaves for work half an hour later and my two new bodyguards come in.

I'm a bit disappointed to learn that the cook, Molly isn't coming this morning. It turns out, the cleaners come in twice a week while Molly comes over three times a week to re-stock the pantry and the fridge. She cooks everything during those days and packed the food in glass containers and stacks them in the fridge for us to heat up whenever we're hungry.

At least Molly talks to me. My new bodyguards or rather babysitters, Jenny and Alicia aren't very friendly. Unlike my previous bodyguards, Mike and John, they are both stationed inside the apartment rather than outside even when none of the other staff is here.