Chapter 57 - Party Favour

Men in tuxedos and women in formal evening dresses dripping with gold and diamonds exit a Bentley, then a Rolls Royce in front of us. When it's our turn to drive up to the entrance, a valet slowly approaches the Mercedes but Katherine keeps driving. I catch the sight of the human valet's face as we drive past.

"We're not going in through the common entrance," she says with a slight tilt of her chin, looking every bit a haughty heiress. "The common entrance" is the grand-looking front doors of the Gauthier Mansion, flanked by white columns on either side. A glittering chandelier hanging in the foyer is the size of a car and can be seen clearly from the outside.

Rounding the corner of the paved driveway on a downslope, Katherine presses a button under her review mirror and the garage door opens up. There are several foreign cars that weren't there this morning parked in the garage. A stretch limo takes a couple of spots, including Katherine's usual space, so she has to park further back. If she's not happy about it, she doesn't show it.

"There are families who arrived from South Africa, Japan, and other parts of the states and they are staying here at least for the night," she tells me as she turns off the engine.

Sacha had already informed me about this, so I just nod as we exit the car and walk toward the elevator. "Breakfast tomorrow should be...interesting."

"That's one way to put it," she agrees.

We enter the elevator and Katherine punches the button for the second floor and we share a wicked smile as the door closes. Clever cheeky girl. We're going to make an appearance by coming down the grand staircase.

"If your father is known for vanity, one trait that the Nephilims are guilty of but would never admit to having is arrogance," she announces. "Those Nephilim women and their parents down there think that they're spawned from angels, therefore they're better than any demons, witches, or even humans. So chin up, Danica, don't show vulnerability or reveal any insecurities."

I have no plan to. I'm vain. I thrive on attention and admiration and I've learned to mask my feelings a long time ago. But then again, my feelings were never fully involved like tonight.

A low sultry voice of a female singer accompanied by live music greets us when the elevator door glides open. The sound of people talking and laughing can be heard from up here.

There are several guards standing on the mezzanine, but they just ignore us. The sound of our footsteps is swallowed by the thick carpet as we make our way toward the staircase.

The Gauthier mansion is always grand and beautiful but tonight, with all the decorations and lights on, the view from the mezzanine looking down below is breathtaking.

The white marble floor reflects the light from the glittering chandeliers. A raised platform is situated at one end of the hall where the singer and the musicians are performing.

Several food stations with stunning fresh-cut flower arrangements as centerpieces are placed around the room. Ice sculptures are sparkling under the lights.

The guests are dressed to the nines and the servers are flitting among them with flutes of wine on silver trays.

My eyes immediately wander around, seeking Sacha out. It's been more than half a day without him and I miss him with a burning longing ache in my chest.

Then I see him. He's looking insanely stunning in a bespoke Brioni tuxedo. His vest is striped metal grey and black with the same color bowtie. The snowy white shirt underneath is a stark contrast to his honey golden tan skin. His black leather dress shoes are shinning impeccably. His hair is a little shorter than the last time I saw him this morning and is swept back, showing off his sharp features and jawline, like one of those European male models. My heart races and my abdomen tightens. I can feel his magnetism from up here.