a walk around town

🦋tamaki's POV🦋

days passed since the mirio, negire and i became friends with (y/n). we'd sometimes find each other around the city, meet up for work or even hang out as friends again. everyday we became closer and closer to her, and it almost felt like we knew each other our whole lives. (y/n) had always been sweet, gentle and very patient with me. i can't count how many times i've embarrassed myself in front of her, and yet she never thought i was weird or boring.

after (y/n) interviewed me, she never left my mind. her beautiful face and quirky smile would always make me all gooey and mushy inside, a mixture of anxiety and excitement, and most of my conversations with mirio and nejire i would just space out thinking of her. it got to a point where i had memorized every feature of hers, and i'd spend my days wondering when i was going to see (y/n) again. i just wished i was as upfront and bold as mirio, and maybe i'd be telling her all of these things instead of keeping those feelings bottled up inside me.

on my day off, i decided to take some time for myself, and enjoy the nostalgic sounds of the city and chilly wings. that cold night, i walked around town with my sweater on and a long, wooly scarf around my neck to cover my face so people wouldn't recognize me. i was in the mood for some street food, so i left my apartment to get some. though just as i was about to turn the corner, among the crowd of people, i noticed (y/n) just a few feet away as she walked in the same direction as me.

before i approach anyone i know, i first think about what i'm going to say, word for word, so i don't stutter mid sentence. but with (y/n), it was a unconscious impulse that drove me to act differently. without thinking, i hurried my pace to catch up yo her and tapped on her shoulder, and when she turned around and recognized me behind my drapes, (y/n)'s vivid smile ran across her cute face like moonlight.

"tamaki? it is you!"

i blankly stared at her for the longest time, infatuated by her glowing,starry eyes, and because i didn't say anything at first, i just kept gawking at (y/n). i hadn't realized until someone bumped into me that snapped me out of my own trance, and when i understood the position i was in, i quickly buried my face under my scarf, pulling it up to cover half of my face.

"h-hey, (y/n)..." i spoke with a muffled tone of voice, covered by thick wool.

"wow, what are the odds of meeting you here at this hour, tamaki? and i see you've taken the day off."

i nodded, uncovering my face gradually as the cold air i breathed escaped from my nose like steam.

"y-yeah. i-i'm, uh... a-actually going to where i usually go to buy takoyaki. i-if you'd like, we could... t-the two of us could-"

(y/n) and i stood still in the middle of a passing crowd, so people kept bumping into me every chance they got, interrupting me.

"move it, kid! people are tryna walk here! go talk somewhere else with your girlfriend!"

(y/n) and i fled from the sidewalk into a more spacious part of town with less people. from then on, we strolled along the road, side by side, enjoying the colorful lights of the city from below.

"anyways," she began, "before that person back there interrupted us, what were you going to say, tamaki?"

i winced, nervous. i didn't expect her to ask me that, so i just blurted it out.

"o-oh," i stammered, "i-it's nothing, really. i-i was just wondering if you'd like to- maybe go eat some street food with me? i-i mean you don't have to. i-i'm sure you already have plans, s-so..."

"i'd love that, tamaki~" she replied.

i stared at (y/n) again as she grinned energetically. i didn't expect her to ever say yes, i hid my face behind my scarf again, smiling behind the piece of fabric so she wouldn't notice how nervous i was. eventually, when i led (y/n) to where the street food was, we stumbled across the takoyaki one. i ordered some octopus balls while she bought a crepe of her own. and when she turned around to face me with her dessert in hand, (y/n) caught me staring.