t w e n t y s i x

"I saw him

"I saw him."

Taehee shot her eyes to the girl who sat beside her as they watched the TV. "Who?" the mother brought her body closer. Saeron pursed her lips into a thin line, not knowing how to tell her about the incident earlier.

She sighed then turned her body to face Taehee. "I saw him, D-dad- ugh even calling him 'dad' is sickening," scrunching up her nose in disgust, but her mother's lips fell agape. "What are you talking about?" the woman's voice started to show panic and Saeron frowned.

"Kang Sejoon. He was in the cafe I went to earlier- mom, is everything okay?" Saeron halted herself when she saw Taehee breathe heavily, she was horrified. Taehee couldn't bring herself to words at how incoherent this was. "No no, this couldn't be," she shook her head in disbelief- making the other even more puzzled.

Her daughter may seem like she knew everything, yet she didn't. At first, Taehee thought it'd be best to stay silent- but it didn't go as planned.

She let out a shaky sigh, "I need to tell you something." Her serious tone brought Saeron to concern as she sat herself up straight, listening to her mother attentively. Words were still unheard and she frowned.

"Tell me," the girl assuringly said. Closing her eyes in distress, Taehee had finally brought herself to speak.

"Your father- Sejoon," she paused and looked at her daughter, her own eyes full of confusion and terror. Saeron kept her gaze fixed, nodding slightly in cue for her to continue.

"He died two years ago."

That's when she felt her heart sank, her mind instantly going blank. "What?- wait." Silence fell over the room. "He died??" Saeron uttered in confusion and her mother nodded in return.

Saeron was partly shocked by his sudden death, last time she met him was years ago so his loss didn't affect her that much. What the girl couldn't comprehend was the fact that she saw him earlier this day.

"No, that couldn't be- I saw him!" Saeron declined. Of course, she couldn't believe her mother's words, she saw him just a few hours ago- with her own physical eyes.

"Are you sure it's him? I mean it's been ages since you last saw him-"
"Yes, I know. But there's no way I could forget that horrific face of his!"

Taehee threw her head back in disbelief and frustration, she couldn't believe what her daughter said either. "Mom, are you saying that I'm seeing things?" Saeron pointed her hands to nowhere and the other sighed.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner"
"About his death?"
"Yeah"
"It's fine, mom- but seriously though. Then who did I just meet?"

The air became thick as Taehee tried to recall anything from the past. Kang Sejoon was definitely dead, she went to his funeral two years ago. So there's no way Saeron saw him.