Chapter 52: Chasing the Past

Street market, Menagerie, 11:00 am

It was a busy day at the market, to the point where almost every inch of the street was covered with Faunus. Aveline, however, was on top of the building looking over the whole street, searching for someone. Finally, she spotted a scailed Faunus brown at a fruit stand.  Aveline checked her scroll for the picture of her target, and all doubts were cleared. She made eye contact with Blake and Sun down below and pointed to the Scaled Faunus. Blake nodded, as she and Sun slowly moved through the crowd, gently pushing through people, like Aveline taught them. But as they were about to reach the Faunus he turned around. noticing he was being approached and fired his gun. Sun jumped out of the way, while Blake blocked the bullets with her sword. The Scaled Faunus used this and began running away.

Blake and Sun chased after him, while Aveline tried to cut him off, running through the rooftops. Eventually the Faunus stopped on a cross section and aimed his gun at his pursuers, only for Aveline to jump down and knock it out of his hand. In return the Faunus sucker punched her, and ran off the main street. As Blake and Sun joined Aveline, the three continued their chase. The Faunus took out his knife, as he ran behind a nearby cart attached to a car, and cut off the rope. As the cart started riding down the road, the Faunus took a sharp turn into an alleyway. Meanwhile, Sun used his semblance, sending in a few of his clones to successfully stop the cart.

Sun: Go!

Aveline continued running, but Blake jumped up, threw her kunai at the cart cargo, launching her self forward and straight into the alleyway, going way past Aveline. The two kept running, as Blake threw her rope to trip the Faunus, only for it to get cut down. Illia stood in front of them and pointed her weapon at Blake. Aveline took a fighting stance, ready to charge at any point.Instead of fighting them, Illia shot down a rope holding a bunch of crates above them. All three of them jumped out the way, letting both Illia and the Scaled Faunus run away by the time sand dust cleared up. Aveline used her eagle vision, but she couldn't find a single sign of their target. Sun finally joined them.

(end the music here if it's still going)

Sun: What happened?

Blake: He got away.

Blake started to walk away.

Sun: Aveline?

Aveline: Something... got in the way. *sighs* I think we did enough for today. Let's get some rest.

***

Gas station "Just Rite", Kilometers away from Mistral, 12:00 pm

Yang entered the gas station and walked up to the counter. There was a shady looking man next to her, and the owner of the gas station, simply cleaning a glass.

Owner: Aren't you a little young to be drinking?

Yang: A water. It's hot out.

Owner: Ohhh. Sure.

He disappeared under the counter.

Shady man: Are you telling me you're too young to drink? You look like a regular Huntress. And a beauty at that.

Yang: I'm good. Thanks, pal.

Shady man: Seriously. Not too bulky. Not too lean. You're...

Yang: Just right. Yup. Like I said, I'm good.

The man got closer to Yang, and reached his hand for her hair.

Yang: And your hair...

Before he could even lay a single finger on the hair, Yang grabbed his hand. The man looked at her, and saw that her eyes turned red, right before he got punched in the face. He fell to the ground, only to bounce up to the ceiling, and continued bouncing until he eventually made it out the door, landing right in front of Jacob's feet, who was just looking through a map.