Chapter Sixteen

So I had arrived near the outskirts of Ruen, the capital of Ruberios. The city was surrounded by a powerful barrier, enough to block even sunlight from entering. Multiple lifeforms were living in them. Humans make the most of the population but as I suspected, a few Vampires were living in the city. This does not include the only Advance Vampire that lived at the secluded castle at a distance from the populace.

There were Holy Knights everywhere, they seemed to be in a defensive line, protecting themselves against what I assumed to be a huge threat. I need to come up with a cover right away. I snapped my fingers and I was endowed in the Holy Knights' uniform as well as a halberd. This was the gear I confiscated from the Farmas's siege on Tempest. My appearance also reverted to my human form as I cast a glamor over me. When I was good and ready, I made my way towards the gate.

'You there! Halt!' I heard the guard called for me. I held up a hand in the sky and greeted them.

'Oi, I'm from Blumund's Church, Kouki Ueda,' I casually yelled, feigning an annoyed toned.

'Brumund Church? I wasn't aware that they have an Otherworlder in their ranks,' said a female knight who appeared behind them. Hearing her voice, the knights hastily bowed in respect of her.

'Yeah, well, I was a reincarnated. Brumund had no resources to summon Otherworlders so they kept my existence under wraps since they couldn't keep me on a leash. But since that they aligned themselves with the Monster Nation, I ran away,' I explained, again with an annoyed tone.

'That's quite a journey, from Brumund to here? You must be tired,' said the female knight.

'Oh, "Spatial Magic" is my pride and joy. Traveling over distance is but a small business. I wish to make myself useful to the church, Ma'am!' I said with a confident tone.

'Really?' She replied with a mocked tone. 'Hmm, well, I need to see how strong you are to determine your proper rank. Lowly soldiery is good for a cover but here, Otherworlder like us are celebrated.'

'You're an Otherworlder too Ma'am?' I asked, surprised by the revelation. Yet, I know, she wields Usurper and Mathematician. This was the famed Hinata Sakaguchi.

'Idiot!' one of the guards chided me. 'This is Hinata Sakaguchi-sama, one of the Saint of Western Saints Church!'

'My apologies, Hinata-sama! I didn't know your face,' I hastily bowed the usual Japanese-style greeting that we both know. She had an indulgent smile on her face and invited me to Church. Taking a good look inside, the barrier over the city had an additional function that served as a day and night indicator, it gave out light so bright that it could be called sunshine. I assumed that this was how the vampires were able to walk among the humans. Seeing the people around the city, they were at peace with one another. There were no signs of poverty, no slums whatsoever. Ruminas had taken good care of her citizens.

'How unfair, the people here, lived so comfortably and happily. I mean, Brumund was peaceful, but Ruen far triumphed over us,' I said.

'Ah, yes,' she solemnly said. 'That's the clear difference between us and the other country. You know, I recognized you, Ueda-san. I've been a fan just before I got here.'

'Really?! I didn't think that you know me,' I said as I rubbed the back of my head. 'I wasn't that famous.'

'Your sounds were distinct, Ueda-san. It's just so happened to be my interests too. How long have you been here?' she asked.

'Long? I didn't know for myself. If I had to guess, it has been a decade or so,' I lied.

'Oh, you must have arrived here just after I did. Time of arrival tends to differ from one person to another,' said Hinata. I was led into a deeper part of the church, inside, I sensed multiple people with varying degrees of powers and abilities but none of them was that powerful when compared to Benimaru. That Fair Oni would level the place in one go and take the knights along with him.