Jan 1: To Jeong-hyeok

Hi friends! It's been a while since I posted a letter. Hope you all like it. Do vote and comment if it resonates with you. Will get something Captain Ri soon too! :) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 1

Seoul

Jeong-hyeok,

Happy New Year! Have you wished me in your heart too?

Why am I getting a bad vibe since yesterday? It's as if you are angry and you're not speaking to me. Did I offend you in any way? Was it something I did back there that irked you? Or are you just angry that I chose to go back and not stay there with you?

Yes, that must be so. You must feel that I chose my life and the riches in South Korea than being with you. But no, you wouldn't think like that. You're too kind, too noble for such thoughts. And you do know that I wanted to stay back, which is why you never asked me to. Do you think I didn't get it Ri Jeong-hyeok? No one else can read you better than me. I'm usually good at those things remember!

Imagine how life would have been had I stayed back in North Korea. Would you have proposed to me under snow, with a cheesy line that you couldn't wait for your life to begin with me or something, or maybe how I was an angel that fell from the sky making you believe in life and love again. I do have a fantasy imagination don't I? And to be honest, I keep picturing how our wedding would have been like.

Come to think of it, I never got to see any North Korean wedding. I wonder how different they are from the ones we have here. I'm sure a lot less extravagant. For ours, I would have chosen your symphony to have been played on the Piano as I walked down the altar.

How many kids would we have had? Maybe a gorgeous daughter like me and a handsome son exactly like you. I wouldn't have been a stay-at-home wife and mom though. That would have been my only condition, and I know you wouldn't have refused me anything I wanted.

It was Bukan's loss that you got me back across the border. Or else I would have made sure Se-ri's choice opened branches in Pyongang. I would have even let that Seo-Dan and her mother shop for my products. Could have made a world of difference to their sagging dull skins! Look at me talking like a jealous bitch. Despite her ageing skin, she gets to be in your arms and not me. Lucky woman! And just the other night I was praying for you to be happy with her. Was I drunk or am I really that noble?

Well whatever. This crazy feeling of emptiness isn't going away. I'm dying to hear your voice. 

Surrounded by silence,

Se-ri