𝖝. long way home

KAMILLE'S FIGURE WAS LIMP ON the grass, her body floating internally with a light, buzzing feeling

KAMILLE'S FIGURE WAS LIMP ON the grass, her body floating internally with a light, buzzing feeling. The dull ache of fatigue plagued her form, coursing through her arteries, stemming from her heart and flying through her body. Her eyes were clamped shut, arms splayed to her side as she lay on the bright field in the midst of the circus team.

Vision had elected to shake her awake. Her fairy costume had shifted to a particularly oversized Nirvana t shirt and grey joggers that were now covered in mud. Vision assumed that this was Wanda's doing.

As consciousness swirled back into Kamille's eyes, the various volumes of the circus team swarmed into her ear canal, forcing a pained groan from the young woman as she woke.

Her gaze locked with Vision's, who hovered above her, his face so close and intense that Kamille recoiled with a yelp, her arms lifting from their support place on the ground to flail in the air, causing her to thump back on to the ground. "What the hell, mate?"

"My apologies," replied Vision. He jittered around nervously, looking all over the place. Kamille groggily wiped her eyes, standing with weak legs that shook and threatened to give in. She flung an arm out to catch her balance on Vision's sturdy frame.

Clowns and cars littered around the red and white striped tents, an array of psychedelic torture pulsing brightly, scalding Kami's unadjusted eyes.

A man approached the pair, decked in a blue leotard with a strange belt. "You're the new clowns?" He inquired snottily, scrunching his nose in distaste. His eyes roamed the two confused neighbours. "At least you're already in makeup." He pointed out to Vision, before turning to Kamille with a curled lip.

"I'm not in clown makeup." She supplied helpfully.

"Could've fooled me." The man spat out, making Kamille' eyebrows raise. "You're late for rehearsal with the escape artist, the both of you. Come on." He gestured for them to follow, leading them to an old fashioned car to which a young woman was chained.

"You was with my Nan last night." Kamille stated, her eyebrows knitted together in a furrowed fashion.

The woman hadn't heard her claim, though she had noticed Vision pointing at himself and then the stranged with confusion. "Can I help you, creeper?"