This World is Against Me Now

I awoke to the sun shining on my face. I eagerly checked my phone for new messages. I was hoping for one from Sawyer and one from Nick complaining about how we left them there. However, I did not receive such a text, not a single text from them. My brain had now gone to the worst case scenario. They have to be dead. There is no way they would not have texted me by now. My stomach had started doing somersaults again. I think I had forgotten to breathe at one point because suddenly I was telling myself to breathe. Breathing is good, I said.

Ok, Trenton just think. Just go into your happy place. I went to grab my bass to get my mind off of it. But, then I realized my bass was not there. Did Georgia sneak into my room and take my bass again? Ugh, little sisters and their love of stealing older brother's things. No, I remembered it was in the SUV which is in the parking lot at the vehicle. Oh crap, if someone broke into the car and stole my bass I am going to freak. Wait, the parking lot was too secured for it to be stolen. It was surrounded by police when I left. My mind had gotten sent right back to the accident. I heard the screams and saw the people in a pile on the floor. I felt so helpless. I am petrified that Sawyer and Nick were in the pile.

My jellified legs stood up from my bed. I was not going to deal with much today. My throat felt dry and scratchy so I really needed a drink. My palms were sweaty when I grabbed the door handle. I just had to calm down. Everything is fine. Stop panicking. Breathe, Trent, breathe. I slowly walked to the kitchen on my spaghetti legs, feeling like I was going to fall at every step. I had to hold on to the railing for dear life when walking down the steps. I had made it to my kitchen. I had grabbed a glass and filled it up with water. If I just drink this water. Maybe I can relax.

I heard footsteps coming into the kitchen. I was afraid to know who it was. I just wanted to spend the day all alone. I continued to sip my water, clearing all the phlegm out of it. I saw the shadow appear. It was my mom.

"I thought I heard you banging around in here," she said to me. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine." I lied, "Could be better. My throat was killing me so I got water."

She rubbed her hand against my forehead, pushing away brown messy strands in the process. Here she goes treating me like a little kid again. Why does she do this to me? Is she that afraid that her "little boy" is about ready to leave her for bigger and better things rather than stay in this shitty small town? "Well, you don't feel hot or cold? Do you want to talk about it?" she said while still touching my head.

"I said I'm fine." I continued to lie. My friends might be dead. My bass might have been stolen. And my ego is ruined. I thought last night was supposed to open a new chapter in our lives. Not nearly kill us! I walked out into the living room. Mom had been watching the morning news. I just absentmindedly looked for the remote. I heard those blood-curdling screams again. I realized they were replaying scenes from last night. I just froze in place. I nearly dropped the cup I was holding when my palms started sweating again. Mom quickly came in and realized what was on the tv and changed the channel.

"Trent are you sure you're fine? And that you don't want to talk about last night?" She said, grabbing me and forcing me to sit down.

"There's nothing to talk about. A balcony collapsed and Matt and I are fine." I said, purposely not uttering their names.

"My little Almond, you seem stressed out about it. You really should talk out your feelings."

Ugh, there she goes calling me her 'Little Almond' it's embarrassing that here I am at seventeen years old and still being called little.

"What feelings? It just happened and I am just in shock. I'll be fine, I'm serious." I lashed out at her.

"If you don't want to talk, then I guess I'll just drop it for now" She stopped. "But, once you're willing to speak up about it, you know where to find me."