prologue

A cabin among the mountains, shielded off from the rest of the world and almost floating in the darkness of the sky.

A group of teenagers huddle together, whispering in hushed tones about their prank. One of the girls, Jessica, holds a piece of paper and puts it on a nearby table.

"Oh my god! I can't believe you actually did this." Emily gushes and Jessica shushes her. Jess's sister, (Y/N), folds her arms across her, uncomfortable.

"Don't you guys think this is a little bit cruel?" She asks and Jess rolls her eyes. "Oh come on, she deserves it sis."

"It's not her fault that she has a huge crush on Mike -" Sam adds.

"Who even would, have you seen him?" (Y/N) scoffs and Mike raises an eyebrow at her.

The two had never gotten along since their group of friends had merged. She hated how he always got what he wanted, in his cocky and over-confident way that was always in her face. Mike, himself, had tried to find things he hated about her, instead finding quite the opposite.

"Hannah's been making moves on him. I'm just looking out for my girl Em." Jess shrugs, making her way out the kitchen and the rest follow suit.

"Just because he's class Prez doesn't mean he belongs to everyone... Mike is my man." Emily states.

"Hey, Em. I'm not anybody's man." Mike jokes, winking playfully at (Y/N), who pretends to gag.

"Whatever you say, darling!"

The teenagers make their way into the guest room, but (Y/N) grabs Sam's arm, pointing up the stairs. "Come on, this isn't fair." She says, heading up. "Hannah!"

In the other room, Ashley laughs as she crouches behind a partition and Matt hides inside the cabinets. Jess and Emily squeeze themselves under the bed, trying to suppress their laughs, watching Mike waiting for Hannah.

Hannah holds a candle out before her, quietly entering the room. "Mike? It's Hannah."

"Hey, Hannah."

Upstairs, Sam and (Y/N) were scouring the area for Hannah, checking the multiple rooms for their friend.

"I got your note."

"Glad you could make it. Maybe we should start with a little, you know, making out, and see where it goes from there." Mike prompts.

Hannah nods, willingly, beginning to unbutton her shirt and Mike whistles slightly. "Oh, hell yeah." He whispers.

Jessica can't contain herself at the sight of Hannah falling for the prank. "Oh my God! She's taking her shirt off!"

Hannah frowns, noticing the pair under the bed and suddenly self-conscious, she tries to cover herself. "What...? Oh my god!"

The others come out of their hiding places, Matt holding out a camera on a selfie stick and she stares at him. "Matt!? What are you doing here?!"

"Uh, I'm sorry, Hannah, this all got outta hand, but..." Mike trails off once Sam and (Y/N) enter the room, hearing the shouts from above.

"Hannah! Hannah, hey, honey.... Don't... it's just a.." Sam starts but Hannah goes rushing out the door. "...stupid prank."

"You guys are jerks. You know that?" Sam rounds on the others, (Y/N) making her way down the stairs to call out for their friend.

"Hannah!" (Y/N) shouts, standing out in the snow. She tries to squint her eyes to see amongst the blizzard, but gains nothing but hazy shapes.

The rest of the group joins her, alongside Hannah's twin, Beth, who shoves Matt out of her way. "What's going on? Where's my sister going?"

"Ugh, it's fine, she just can't take a joke..." Jessica states and Emily nods, calling out into the night. "It was just a prank, Han!"

"What did you do?" Beth questions, angry at the supposed group of mates.

"We were just messing around, Beth.... It wasn't serious -" Mike sighs.

"You jerks!" Beth yells, running out into the woods in search of her sister.

"So... should we go after her?" Mike asks, looking around at the rest of them and (Y/N) laughs, facing him.

"Y'know I kinda think you're the last person she wants to see right now, Mike." She spits, jabbing her finger into his chest. "I hope you're happy with yourself." She mutters, pushing him out the way as she heads into the cabin.