Chapter One: The Year 2805/Long Walk Home

Planet Earth. A world long forgotten. A once terrestrial beacon of life, now scarred by its former inhabitants and their artificial leavings. Now, an impurity floating around in space, a ball of garbage, so to speak. Such an ironically laughable thought that it's the only known habitable planet in the known universe. If anyone could've seen it now....

However, no one can or ever will again, now that it is by definition: devoid of life. An entire planet with absolute zero population: the former twelve billion inhabitants left their mark, or marks that can be seen from space by new landscapes made entirely of garbage, if it could be seen. Even the air is subsequently thick from the pollution and the landmasses are almost unrecognisable. Entire continents are covered, reshaped, and transformed into a combination of tundra and desert like wastelands solely by plastic, paper, and metal waste; every city now nothing but giant junkyards, all buried by mountains or towers of trash if seen from afar.

 Entire continents are covered, reshaped, and transformed into a combination of tundra and desert like wastelands solely by plastic, paper, and metal waste; every city now nothing but giant junkyards, all buried by mountains or towers of trash if ...

Here, in the Buy N' Large, BnL for short, Cleanup Sector NA-001, formerly known as New York City, it is barely what it used to be like by the humans who lived here. The once mighty iconic buildings of downtown Manhattan are now dwarfed or were buried by the even taller copious numbers of towers made all entirely out of trash cubes, some of them thousands of feet high and stretching on for miles in all directions. The once water filled bays of the Hudson River now dried up polluted valleys by the receded Atlantic. Old iconic buildings and bridges have mostly rusted and eroded away by the etchings of time, nature, and by man's impact. Garbage and the howling volatile winds are the only predominant feature that are present in the once recognisable metropolis ...but not the only thing that is in this hellhole.

A faint but clear chirping of music could be heard, almost like a faint whisper in the winds of the now dead and silent city. In the distance, something moves amongst the heaps of trash, traversing the streets like it's a causal day; a single human being.

Maybe it isn't so devoid of life...

A lone human male walked around the avenues of trash towers, strolling across the desolate littered streets carrying out his job, or his "directive" as it is also called. The sound of music coming from him, giving off the only sign of life in this place.

The male stopped nearby a small, ancient mobile compactor nearby, one of many that were all around the Sector. Wielding a shovel in his heavy-duty gloved hands, he begins scooping a pile after pile of the land's indefinite filth into the device and activated it. The sound of its obsolete and worn hydraulics grinding loudly and almost struggling as it compresses the garbage into a cube echo through the streets, still not silencing the sound of upbeat happy music from the human's musical device: an ancient cassette player, eroded and abused with slight static, but amazingly, it was still playable. The compactor opens and spits out a one by one metre cube of junk, weighing roughly 50 kilograms, or 110 pounds.

The human then picked the cube up with practiced ease and carried it behind his back. Another life form, a canine dog, follows right behind him. After some considerable climbing and carrying up a height of trash, the human finally stacked the cube along with others on the top of the trash tower. The human paused for a moment, leaning against the cubes, trying to catch his breath from such labour.