Chapter Twenty-Five: Back Together

The solitude of the Braedey's open BnL utility truck was shattered by a sudden blast of wind, a figurine landing on her feet after flying here at supersonic speed, and cradling the body of the truck's occupant.

Jasmine rushed inside the truck, her every thought and movement has to be going at flank speed. Max rushes in behind her, whining to see his master wake up again. She lay Braedey's lifeless body on the metal floor, and begun rotating the shelves to find his prosthetic spares, struggling to remember precisely where he kept his glasses the last time she was here. She searched frantically, already suppressing her tears for the time being. She had no time to cry, not now; she had to act and act fast.

The shelf full of obsolete medical supplies and crude prosthetic components comes into rotation, Jasmine stops the shelves cycling and scoops up a pump-like device: Braedey's spare pacemaker. She dropped to her knees by his side and unfolded the field surgical kit she brought. The backpack sized kit suddenly activates into an autosurgeon; a compact, sterilized, multi-armed biotechnologial machine that contained injection canisters, numerous scanning systems, cell membrane generators, and operating tools of the most advanced regenerative medicine of the 29th century.

Jasmine ripped open Braedey's tattered, bloodied coveralls and gets to work; she had no time to ponder over what else she has or doesn't have in the kit, or how much of her medical training to operate this techno-contraption was limited. She had to bring Braedey back in the next couple of minutes before his mind rots away.

Every second counts.

She starts with the most critical damage to Braedey; his crushed skeleton. The mechanical operating arms formed into dual-clamps, and each clung into both sides of every broken movable joint and extremity. The piercing clamps inject liquid periosteum into the marrow and cartilage of his broken bones; while pulling the bones into full length at the same time. Jasmine tried to ignore the sickening sight of the compound fractures sink back into the flesh leaving open, bloodless wounds, on top of the crunching sound of Braedey's bones snapping back into place; it seemed surreal to watch a human body unfold into its proper shape like a crunched up piece of tin foil unfolding itself. His arms and legs straightened out to normal; the injected fluids instantly solidify his fractures into new bone mass, making his fractures disappear. Then, his crushed ribcage, vertebrae, and skull are decompressed by suction clamps, and then injected with the skeleton-patching liquids reshaping them from concaved to proper form. Smaller fractions are dealt with by lightning speed injections of the hematopoietic liquid by Jasmine herself. In a few seconds time, his unfolded, patched up skeleton has set and returned to it's normal form.

Jasmine has her bioscanner analyze the physiological damage done to his internal organs. His lungs had to be depressurised; his brain showed traumatic concussion bruising, his liver was squashed to jelly and had to be replaced, and he has extreme tissue tear damage in most of his tendons. She has the information relayed to the autosurgeon's flash-cloning device to create the new liver needed and prepare for an operation; inside a translucent canister was an embryo of a human liver rapidly morphing into shape. Also at work were the prosthetic-processing arms that began repairing Braedey's ancient and scrapped mechanical forearm, the autosurgeon's processor visually learning, understanding, and working the functional design of the prosthetic in milliseconds.

While the new organ formed she has to get inside his torso to repair his internal injuries, and quickly. Jasmine used a surgical laser to cut open his abdomen. With no blood left in his body, it made less of a mess as she pried into the clean-cut incision, while she barely kept herself from getting queasy while sticking her gloved hands into his innards. Her hands moved fast but a bit shaky as she sliced through cartilage to his damaged vital organs. As hard as she tried, shouldn't fathom the sense of violation she was doing, probing the organs of her lover with her own hands. The autosurgeon pinged, indicating the flash-cloned liver and rebuilt arm is complete.