━◦○◦3.6: Familiar Faces◦○◦━

episode 3 - The Power Broker

Shamara was right. What felt like a few minutes after she lay down, Sharon shook her awake. She blinked, blinked again as she tried to focus. The hum of the air conditioner filled her head, and she rubbed her eyes.

"Sorry, Shay. We need to get moving. Breakfast is ready," Sharon didn't comment on how Shamara was sleeping on the floor.

She stepped away as if expecting Shamara to need a moment to wake up properly. But Shamara just got to her feet. She followed Sharon from the room, twisting her hair up. She stepped into the kitchen, where the men already sat around the breakfast bar.

"Good morning," Shamara stepped over, trying to ignore the fluttering nervousness in her stomach.

Bucky looked up at her. Smiling with his bright blue eyes, even though his face was weary.

"Ah, Shay," Zemo raised a glass of orange juice to her. "I trust you had a helpful rest."

"Indeed," Shamara pulled out a barstool at the end, boosting onto it.

She served herself fruit and croissants, glancing at the bright windows. The sky was surprisingly clear over the skyscrapers and other buildings, free of pollution. I wouldn't be surprised if the energy is all clean. They have the funds for it. Sharon passed the French-press pot of coffee, and Shamara smiled her thanks, messing with her hair.

"You feelin' okay?" Sam said in a whisper when Sharon started talking about where they were headed next.

"Can't see my tattoo anymore," Shamara extended her hand.

Sam hissed through his teeth, "That's because -?"

"Yes."

He patted her shoulder, swapping looks with Bucky. Bucky nodded with a tight expression.

They ate quickly and walked down to Sharon's car. She directed her driver toward the port but otherwise didn't say anything. They kept the windows tinted so no one could spot the fugitives. Shamara rubbed her tattoo as they drove, her heart pounding. If Nagel didn't have answers . . . I definitely want to avoid asking Zemo anything. Karli wouldn't care. She bit her lip, her knee bouncing. And I cannot go to Israel.

If she got nothing from Nagel, it would be a dead end.

They got out at the port, and Sharon led the way into the maze of containers. Empty containers, judging by how old some of them were. Why did Madripoor collect them all? Does the Power Broker have some weird purpose for them, aside from hiding a lab?

"Madripoor could give New York a run for its money," Sam rubbed his temples and shook his head.

"They know how to party," Zemo nodded.

"With that bounty on your head, the longer you're in Madripoor, the less likely you're ever leaving," Sharon didn't even glance over her shoulder. "All right. He's in there. Container four-two-six-one."

She held out the earpieces. Shamara took one with a shaking hand, glancing at the container.

"I'll watch while you guys talk to Nagel. But hurry. We're on borrowed time," Sharon started walking away.

"Shay should join you," Bucky stopped her. "She's the only person who doesn't technically have a warrant on her."

Shamara lifted her eyebrows at Bucky, even as Sam and Zemo stepped over to the container.

"If he was associated with Hydra, he might let slip something about you. I don't want to risk it with Zemo around," Bucky whispered, nodding to Sharon.