━◦○◦5.4: Slow Dancing◦○◦━

episode 5 - Truth

Shamara leaned against the table, watching with a smile as Sarah's sons told her about their day. AJ, the oldest, tried to boost onto the counter, and Sarah waved him off. Cass laughed and replaced a picture on the fridge.

"Then Mr. H said his daddy came to help us with the boat," Cass adjusted his glasses. "Did Sam fix it?"

"I think he's close. Maybe they'll get it done tomorrow," Sarah peered out the window.

"We can go on it before sellin' it, right, Mom?" AJ stood beside her, shading his eyes towards the sunset.

" . . . yes. Of course, I doubt Sam would let it be otherwise," Sarah cleared her throat. "Now get your things put away and do your homework."

"Then can we -?"

"After that, you can play video games."

AJ pumped a fist in the air, and he and Cass scrambled out of the kitchen. Shamara laughed as they left.

"Boys," Sarah shook her head. "I'm glad I had Sam growin' up, or I would've never known how to handle them on my own."

"Is it easier or harder now that Sam is back? I mean, having to readjust again," Shamara propped her chin on her hand.

"He's here for me when he can be, but Sam is divided. He doesn't want to be, but he can't change his callin'. Carlos and Tommy help a lot, especially when we're all on the docks. And of course, boys have school," Sarah heaved a sigh, shaking her head. "I don't know, Shay. They're good kids, and I am selfishly so glad. If I had to be a single mother, at least it's for them."

Shamara walked over, setting a hand on Sarah's shoulder, "When did their father pass away?"

"Cass was barely a year old. Car accident in New Orleans when he was driving to some business meetings. Lost Mom and Dad not long after. Lost Sam not four years after that."

Yet, she had managed to handle a business and two boys all on her own.

"I'm sorry. That's a lot of grief to carry," Shamara moved her hand and looked out the window.

"Yeah. Well, there is grace given for the darkest days," Sarah grabbed a pot out of a cabinet. "Do you have any family?"

Shamara shook her head, "Not anymore."

"Yeah?"

"My family and I lived in a rural village near the disputes with Israel. Very poor, but we were happy. Umi had nearly died giving birth to me, so I was an only child. Though, it doesn't really work like that with Arabs. I spent every other week with my grandmother and twenty-five cousins."

"Twenty-five?" Sarah whistled.

"Arab," Shamara shrugged, chuckling. "Anyway . . . I will never know the truth of why it happened, but when I was twelve, our village was bombed. My parents were among the dead. So were many of my other family members. Israel took me, though they allowed my grandmother to keep seeing me until her death. That was when I was fifteen."

"Why would Israel take you?"

Shamara hesitated.

"Remember the DC thing back in 2014?" Sam stepped through the front door. "Sorry, window's open."

"Didn't you say that's what Bucky -?" Sarah hesitated when Bucky followed Sam, but he waved his hand.

"It's fine. Yeah. I was in the Russian mess, and Shamara in the Israeli," Bucky ran a hand through his hair. "Sam invited us to stay the night, Sarah, but if he's overstepping, we can -."