Narnia

You find yourself following everyone, trying not to trip over the end of your dress. You keep having to pull your dress up. Peter leads the group and you fall behind, walking next to Susan. 

"What is this place?" you ask. 

"Narnia. Remember all the stories we told you in school?" 

"Yeah, but I didn't think any of that was real," you exclaim. Susan lets out a small laugh. 

"Everyone thinks that. It's not surprising," she says to you. You keep walking, keeping your head down in embarrassment. Peter leads everyone to a beach and everyone can see a small boat being rowed by two men. They stop and lift up a shorter man and it looks like they are about to throw him off the boat. He is tied up at the hand and feet with a gag in his mouth. Susan shoots an arrow into the side of the ship and you stay back, not wanting to get in the way. 

"Drop him!" Susan says as she cocks another arrow. The smaller man says something but it is muffled by his gag. The men take 'Drop him' seriously and drop him into the water. He begins sinking and Susan shoots one of the men with an arrow. Peter and Edmund begin running to the water after dropping their weapons. Peter dives after the small man and Edmund grabs the boat, having been abandoned by the men. Peter surfaces and Lucy cuts the rope off the shorter man. He pulls his own gag out and spits out water. You still stand back out of the way after picking up Peter's sword for him. 

"Drop him, is that the best you could come up with?" the man says angrily. You have to think about the stories you were told of this place and remember that there are such things as dwarfs. 

"A simple thank you would suffice," Susan says as she puts away her bow. 

"They were doing fine drowning me without your help," the dwarf says. He stands up and is looking at the five of you. 

"Maybe we should have let them," Peter says. 

"Why were they trying to kill you anyway?" Lucy asks. Everyone seems to be trying to find out all the information all at once. 

"They're Telmarines. That's what they do." 

"Telmarines? In Narnia?" Edmund says quietly. 

"Where have you been for the last few hundred years?" the dwarf asks with a lot of sarcasm. 

"It's a bit of a long story," Lucy says. You make your way forward and hand Peter his sword. He smiles at you and carefully puts it back on. The dwarf watches Peter put the sword on and then looks at all of the Pevensie kids. 

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me. You're it? You're the kings and queens of old?" he says in disbelief. Peter offers his hand, 

"High King Peter...the Magnificent," he says. 

"You probably could have left out the last bit," Susan criticizes. 

"Probably," the dwarf says while chuckling. 

"You might be surprised," Peter says as he draws his sword. You look at him with an expression of Are you really going to fight a dwarf? 

"Oh, you don't want to do that, boy," the dwarf says. 

"Not me. Him." He looks over at Edmund who draws his sword. Peter hands his sword to the dwarf and it drops into the sand from the weight. Edmund smiles at you, distracted. The dwarf suddenly knocks Edmund's sword away. Ed ducks but the dwarf takes the opportunity to hit him in the face. Edmund backs away. 

"Edmund!" Lucy shouts. Peter had moved back and is now standing next to you with his arms crossed. 

"Aww, you alright?" the dwarf mocks. They continue to circle each other and fight. With a slash to the feet, Ed jumps. The swords class and Ed spins it around in a big circle, disarming the dwarf. He just falls down in the sand and stares. 

"Beards and bedsteads! Maybe that horn worked after all," he says. 

"What horn?" Susan questions. 

     After a couple of minutes of explaining, the dwarf named Trumpkin had told everything that had happened with a young Telmarine. Soon, everyone was getting ready to leave when Trumpkin approaches you. 

"They are the high kings and queens. Who are you?" You sigh. 

"I am Y/N Y/L/N. I am just a friend," you explain. 

"More than a friend," Susan inputs. "We have told them everything about Narnia and they got the opportunity to come so I consider them family," she finishes. You smile in relief. Everyone looks at you and is smiling. You meet Peter's eyes and blush at his smile. Everyone loads into the boat and Peter and Ed begin rowing down a river they call Glasswater. Everyone is quiet, taking in everything around them. 

"They're so still," Lucy says. You look up to see she is looking at the trees. 

"They're trees. What do you expect?" Trumpkin inputs. 

"They used to dance." You try to imagine trees dancing and all you can think of is them swaying in a breeze. 

"It wasn't long after you left that the Telmarines invaded. Those that survived retreated to the woods. And the trees have retreated so deeply inside themselves that no one has heard from them since," Trumpkin explains. 

"I don't understand. How could Aslan have let this happen?" 

"Aslan? I thought he abandoned us after you lot did." 

"We didn't mean to leave, you know," Peter says. 

"Doesn't make much difference now, does it?" Peter and Trumpkin are staring at each other. 

"Get us to the Narnians and it will," Peter says with determination. After another couple of minutes of rowing, they finally reach the shore and climb out of the boat. Peter helps you out and you can barely keep your blush contained. You had it bad for Peter but you know he will never see you as more than a friend. Susan hands you her bow just so she can help with the boat. You are watching when you hear Lucy begin talking. 

"Hello there! ...It's alright, we're friends," she says. You notice the bear as it stands up and looks at Lucy. You quickly notch an arrow, trying to remember what you learned years ago at a summer camp. 

"Don't move, your majesty!" Trumpkin yells. 

"Stay away from her!" Susan yells. You pull the arrow back. 

"Y/N, shoot!" Edmund yells. The bear is charging Lucy. She falls backward and right before the bear reaches her, you let loose on the arrow. The bear falls over and you lower the bow. Susan and Edmund run forward and Peter moves over to you. You are shaking from what you have just done. He stands in front of you and takes the bow from your hands. He holds onto one of your hands and makes you look into his eyes. 

"You did well. You just saved Lucy," he reassures you. He pulls you into a one-armed hug and you savor the feeling. Once he lets you go, both of you look over to the bear and see Trumpkin end its life humanely.