Chapter 8 - Confessions

Loki screams, thrashing against the hands holding him in place while the whip cuts into his back, blood flowing freely. He'd held back the pain as long as he could, refusing to make a sound and holding himself with pride even as he was whipped. On the twentieth or so lash, he was no longer able to stop himself from crying out. His escape attempt was foolhardy, and he should have waited. He should have been patient.

But he wasn't. Ebony Maw caught him before he could even find the exit to the prison level, and now, here is he, being punished in front of all and sundry aboard the Sanctuary. A large hand grabs his chin, forcing his head up to meet the Titan's cold gaze. "Your rebellion will get you nowhere, little King," Thanos warns. "It will be good that you remember that for the future." Loki spits in his face, smirking even as he's backhanded hard enough to draw blood.

"Ten more lashes," orders the Titan. Loki cries out again as the whip digs into the mess of flesh and raw muscle on his back, each stroke sending waves of agony burning through him.

Loki jerks awake with a muffled gasp, heart racing as his eyes dart frantically around the room, trying to recall where he is. He relaxes slightly when he sees Thor laying sprawled on the bed next to him. The torture, the mind control, the invasion of Midgard, his subsequent fight to close the portal... It was real. It was real, and he's safe here in Stark's Tower, though he doesn't know for how long.

The sound of Thor's even breathing next to him helps him calm himself enough to unclench his hands which are twisted in the sheets. He tilts his head to look at the clock on the dresser, the red numbers reading 5:39. That's good. It's been almost two hours since he last awoke from the nightmare which brought Thor into his room from the couch. He doubts the silencing spell had failed, so he assumes that JARVIS must have called in his brother when he spiraled into a panic attack.

He doesn't think he'll be able to sleep anymore, so he carefully slides himself out of the bed, leaving Thor to sleep. He needs a moment to recollect himself and finds himself wandering from the bedroom into the rest of the suite. It's been five days since he first arrived, and he left the apartment for the first-time last night when Stark demanded that they eat supper together.

Loki had only been able to conclude that Midgardians have strange food choices and had said as much to Stark and his Lady Pepper Potts. They had both found the comment amusing, and he's glad they weren't offended. He hadn't even considered the possibility that they might be until after the words had escaped him. It was a thoughtless, passing statement. The evening itself had been pleasant enough, and Loki finds that he almost wants it to happen again.

He stands in the silence for a long minute before silently slipping from the suite and heading to the elevator to go to what Stark referred to as the common room. A change of scenery might be in order while he tries to find a semblance of calm in the wake of his nightmare. He wants to go somewhere alone just for a short while. Thor means well, but Loki doesn't think he could tolerate his brother's smothering affection or concern at the moment.

The common room is quiet and dark, and Loki finds it soothing, picking his way through the furniture to the large, glass window over the city. He stands there, staring out into the darkness which the coming son is chasing away. It's oddly peaceful, and he remains in place, hands clasped behind his back, as the sky blossoms with brilliant pinks and oranges. Midgard has beautiful sunrises, and Loki can't help but wonder why they choose to build such populated cities which ruin the beauty of their realm.

He's still standing there when the elevator dings, and Steve Rogers hesitantly enters the area. After the battle, Stark had offered Rogers a place to stay at his Tower, and the latter had agreed, through whether it was because he wanted to or because he felt he needed to keep an eye on the two Asgardians, Loki isn't sure.