Chapter 3 - The Risks I Take

Rogers leans back against the wall, scrutinizing both of them. The quinjet's engines hum around them as the machine flies towards their destination. The sound lulls Thor into a sense of false security. He's sitting next to Loki, and though he's relaxed, his brother is extremely tense. His face is blank, but Thor knows he's scared.

"What's the plan, Loki?" he asks finally. "It would be helpful if we knew. If you were in our custody, if Thor hadn't come, what would you have done?"

Loki gives him a thin smile. "I wasn't going to do anything," he answers simply. "I was the distraction. Because you were focused on me, you didn't notice when Barton broke in to steal the iridium we needed."

"It was a good distraction," Stark mumbles, pulling his helmet off and studying Loki appraisingly. "I don't think anyone considered that. I mean, I probably would have figured it out because I'm a genius, but –"

"The size of your ego is frankly disturbing," Loki informs him with a sharp smirk.

Stark huffs, seeming prepared to start an argument, but Rogers holds out a hand to quiet him. "And then?" he queries. "After we imprisoned you in the Helicarrier. What plan did you have? Surely you must have known that you'd be placed in the most secure facility we have."

Loki scoffs. "Your pathetic Midgardian technology can't hold me. Few can keep me contained if I don't wish it." He pauses, clearly giving them a moment to absorb his words and their meaning. It's the truth. Thor knows little of the extent of Loki's seidr, but his brother is one of the strongest sorcerers he knows. Scratch that. Loki is the most powerful sorcerer he knows. He is aware of few who can match his brother's skill.

"Barton and the others were supposed to go to Manhattan. I knew you would be holding me nearby," Loki explains. Thor finds himself nearly awed by the cunning which went into the planning. He's been on the receiving end of Loki's tricks and mischief, but this is much more. This was meant for sinister purposes. He finds himself thankful that he'd listened to Loki and broken him free from the Mind Stone's grip. What might have happened if he hadn't? It's not something he wishes to think about.

"And then?" Roger demands, narrowing his eyes.

Loki hesitates, before exhaling harshly. "I don't know," he admits. "I am – was, rather, connected mentally to the others. Now, I don't know what happened. Perhaps they were freed, though I doubt it. Presumably, they are under –" he cuts off, expression haunted as his gaze flicks downwards. Thor reaches out, resting a comforting hand on his arm.

"Under whom?" Stark demands, stepping forward. "Who else is involved?"

"Thanos." Loki's tone is curt. "He is... not anyone you want to tangle with. If he has control of your friends' minds, there is no telling what they will do." In the tense silence, Thor can almost feel the others' unease. They're confused, uncertain if they can trust Loki's words and for good reason, but without telling them everything, there isn't much Thor can do.

"Surely you must have had a plan?" Rogers presses, raising an eyebrow.

"Not specifically," Loki admits. "The Tesseract would be used to open a portal and bring in the Chitauri army. I was to lead them. Now..." he shrugs.

"Can't you do something?" demands Stark. "Do some magic to find them and figure out what they're doing?"

Loki laughs mirthlessly. "That is not how seidr works. You mortals have very unusual views of sorcerer's abilities." But Thor knows that, in normal circumstances, Loki would have no problem with doing what Stark is asking. The only reason he's not is because his seidr has been severely weakened and depleted. The realization sends a dull throb of rage through him, prompting a random flash of lighting somewhere outside.