Chapter 11: The King's Hunt

Elena involuntarily screams from fright. Tears fell on her cheeks as she closed her eyes. The crowd was anxious to see what happened, their heightened excitement from the browling fight suddenly got interrupted by her scream. Their drunken eyes quickly shifted towards her.

"No!"

Elena, who for some reason couldn't control herself, slapped Johan on the face as hard as she could, not realizing it was her husband.

"Elena, it's me!"

With a reddened cheeks, he took her hands and wrapped it around his waist into a lock. With one hand securing her wrist, he looked into her eyes. The maiden had darkened fearful eyes. His face hardened and quickly scooped her up. The hallucination might still have an effect on her— having to see a violent sight have triggered her to respond that way.

With the other two knights fighting with their swords, Johan looked back assessing whether it was safe to leave or not. When he was certain the two Knights could handle it, he turned and said, "You know what to do."

The two knights only smirked and sighed at the same time and both responded, "Yes, Leader."

Johan walked away with Elena in his arms while her consciousness slowly slipping away—-
***

Cold and wet feeling touched her cheeks. Elena flinched and opened her eyes, her sight still slightly blurry. From an expected touch, she turned her head to the side, seeing Johan's face as if for the first time.

"Why are you surprised?"

The man had a calm voice as he sat down on the floor. Elena turned her head again to strengthen her head, the wooden ceilings of the carriage shook heavily. It was the carriage they were able to purchase in Balero. Though not as comfortable as the previous carriage, Elena felt safe.

"What happened?" Elena asked. After losing her consciousness, her memories of what happened looked like a thick fog on the mirror.

"Your father seemed to be hunting us..."

Elena swallowed hard. Suddenly, she felt like something was stuck in her throat. This man is skillfully clever. Though she already knew that it was probably because they had dealt with her father so many times, it was easier for him to quickly understand his situation. The King's hostility towards their Knighthood was because of his conflict with the church, but now that they can become his powerful vessel against the other kingdom. There shouldn't be any more reasons for him to attack them.

But, the situation has now changed.

Elena knew her father would not just let her leave the vicinity of his kingdom— she was the key to control his new and profound vessel. With them leaving his territory, it would be impossible to track these groups of mercenaries who had never once been under a king.

"... it's because of me."

Like a hard pinch on the skin, her heart felt pricked and heavy admitting to her guilt. The man stood up after some time and sat on the opposite side of the carriage. He leaned over, his elbow placed on his knees.

"I can understand why the king would do this."

Maybe Johan Antonov knew of the relationship between her and the king? Her eyes trembled a little, staring at the empty ceiling as she continued to lay her head down. That was delusional— Johan Antonov would have never paid attention to her since she knew him. In fact, the only reason why the man knew her was because she was a "princess". Ironically, The title that she hates was the sole reason she was married to him.

"The king... my father and I... Our relationship, what do you think of it?"

It was curiosity that made her ask. She knew what other people perceived her relationship to be with her father as— those who knew were servants of the Palace. But, do outsiders know about it too?