21 I Missing her fragrance

It's been a week since I last saw her with those moist tears decorating her mesmerising orbs

It's been a week since I last saw her with those moist tears decorating her mesmerising orbs. The weather too was expressing it's sadness as it remained gloomy for a couple of days. As if shedding tears on her absence.

She was unwell and bedridden. I desperately want to see her, if not for long but atleast for once. But unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to do that. The Doctor had said that she was suffering from some mental stress and needed a break to relax her mind. For that her brother wasn't letting anyone go and see her except Pu di and himself. Maybe she was too weak to meet anyone. Or maybe she doesn't want to see anyone.

"You are the real owner of this because without you I am nothing."

"Thank you for everything you have done for me."

"I promise I'll never disturb or irritate you again."

"Please S-Sumedh!"

Those voices were fading away in the pitch black of the darkness as her figure moved back, far away from me and disappearing in the unknown mist.

"Mallikaaaa!!"
I opened my eyes all of a sudden coming out of that nightmare which was haunting me for quite a few days. I stared at the ceiling, breathing heavily and sweating profusely, still lying down on my bed when the cranky sound of the alarm clock was heard breaking my daze. It was 7:00 AM in the morning. If it was somedays earlier, then I would have become mad at myself for waking up so super late! But things were different now. I take some extra sleep due to my mom's strict orders. Moreover I didn't have the hurry to go to her house as she wasn't well and couldn't attend school and even my tutions. Somewhere down I miss teaching her.

I got off my bed and slipped into my slippers as the floor had turned into a layer of ice due to the freezing climate. After taking a quick shower, I came out with my ruffled curly hairs. No matter how much I try to concentrate on other things, all of them force me to make me think of her, especially the rain. It had started to drizzle now and a strange force was attracting me towards the window. I tried to rub the condensed water droplets on the glassy wall of the window and the view became clearer. The windows of her room were kept shut as usual. She hadn't opened them since a week. Doesn't it feel suffocated to be trapped there inside that small room?

A plethora of slides unfolded before my mind's eye. The drops of rain makes me remind of how she enjoys every bit of this season, how she dances carelessly but gracefully letting those calming drops touch her smooth skin and wipe away all the worries of life. I love seeing that!

But now it seemed as if that free bird had forcefully kept itself trapped inside a cage, restricting itself from enjoying the heavenly showers.

It was alien to me, this strange feeling as I felt my heart heavy with guilt. Her words and those nightmares make me feel guilty. It makes me feel that I was the only reason for her despair and illness. Maybe somewhere down I was at fault....

"Wake up Stupid! How long are you going to sleep? Or shall I say those cheesy dialogues? Wake up my charming prince, open your eyes! Mumma's sweetie little boy wake up!", Dau shouted from the other side of the closed door.

"I'm awake. Coming down in a few minutes!", I answered back.

"You better be! I'm starving here!", saying this I heard his footsteps go away.

After wearing my clothes as I was standing there only with my towel wrapped around my waist, I moved towards the door to get out of this suffocated box but stopped when my eyes fell on that shiny trophy she had won. I've kept it safely with me and have decided to give it back to her once she gets well.

Getting absorbed in my own thoughts, I descended downstairs towards the breakfast table.

"Junior Newton! Overthinking is bad for your tummy. A bad tummy means a bad day so feed your tummy with some cheese parathas and keep it happy", he nearly shouted in my ears making me jump in surprise.

"Can't you speak of anything except food?! And what enmity do you have with Sir Isaac Newton?", I asked as I settled down on my chair.

"Loving food is like breathing! How can I stop it? And if you're asking of that Newton then I would say that he should have just eaten up that apple instead of wasting his time in making these useless laws!", Dau said comically.

"Talking to you on these matters is of no sense. Btw, how was your seven days camp?"

"It was good but was missing Rushi but not to mention, I didn't miss you!", saying this he burst into peels of laughter.

"Same here. Didn't miss you a bit! So how's your health?"

"I'm Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious !", my jaws dropped hearing him. Can't he simply say that 'he is fine'?

"How is Mallika now? Did you go to see her?", he asked while I kept quiet trying to ignore the question. Why does he always have to bring up wrong questions at the wrong time?

"Are you even listening?", he asked getting annoyed.

"I am all ears!"

"Leave it, my cheese parathas are calling me", he exclaimed and started to stuff them inside his mouth. I too had mine though I wasn't in a mood to eat. My appetite has gone.

_____________________________________

I was coming back after grabbing some books from the library with an umbrella squeezed between my arms. It was a gray afternoon with a dull sky, threatening to rain.
I increased my pace to get back home before it starts raining. The earthly smell of the wet soil, the petrichor spread all over the surroundings hushing the hustle and bustle of the city life.

I ceased in my tracks and stood in front of her house. As I shifted my gaze upwards towards her balcony adjacent to her room, it looked empty as if waiting for someone to stand there and make it a whole. The petrichor was soothing but I miss her strawberry fragrance which my nose is yearning to smell.

All of a sudden, I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard someone clearing his throat behind me to attract my attention. I turned my head to find the most unexpected person standing before me, looking at me with a serious gaze and his eyebrows twitched. I gulped seeing him.

Before he could say something, I turned to leave muttering a vague sorry when he said,

"Stop! Where are you going?"

"G-Going home", I stammered.

"Why were you standing here?"

"Just taking in the earthly smell....that's it!", I replied nervously making his gaze more intense.

"Why were you staring at my sister's room?", came the most dangerous question and now I was trapped. What should I say? The truth, my mind said. I badly want to see her. Let me tell him and will think of the consequences later. I took a deep breath and let go my words.

"I want to have a check on Mallika. I want to see her. Please!", I requested knowing that I was crying for the moon and his answer would be a straight NO.

"So you should! Come in. I guess she would be happy to see you atleast. She isn't talking with me nor Pu.", came the most unexpected reply from him. I smiled like an idiot hearing him while inwardly I was celebrating. It felt like I was going to meet her after years.

______________________________

How would Mallika react seeing him?
Will she tell him the truth?

To know, you need to stay tuned!
As I have said in the previous chapter, a big surprise is waiting for you all which will be revealed I guess after more two to three chapters!

Vote and comment down your guesses about the surprise! ❤️

--- Blue 💙