Chapter 2: Into the Clouds

Once settled in, the flight attendants went through their usual routine. The band had flown so much in the last three years that it was routine for them as well. The warnings, precautions, and the extras for being first class passengers etc, etc, etc. But he could see that Melody was at a loss. She looked around to her fellow travelers, leaned over to ask Joon-suk what to do, him replying in his usual big brother tone. "Good", San-hoon thought, "he treating her like a sister."

As take-off began, he could see her knuckles turning white as she gripped the arm rests. Was she even breathing? Without thinking, he reached over, pried her one hand loose, held it, and felt her relax slightly. She would hold onto his hand until the plane leveled off and the flight attendant needed to walk past.

She gave a little bow in thanks and then embraced the same hand to her chest, closing her eyes. He noticed her lips moving, then she slowly exhaled, relaxing her shoulders and opening her eyes. Joon-suk asked if she was okay, and she assured him she would be, just needed to calm her nerves. This was her first time on a plane without parents or friends and flying always made her a little anxious anyway.

____________••____________
HER: IN THE TIN CAN

As the flight crew made the last preparations before take-off, Melody began to panic. What was she thinking! Flying to almost the other side of the world, by herself. She sat stoically during the warnings and precautions. She was baffled when the flight attendant attempted to hand her a warm damp towel. What was this for? She quietly leaned towards Joon-suk, asking what she was suppose to do, and he replied as if she were his annoying sister asking him too many questions already.

In the first row, seats A and B were Jung Ye-jun and Lee Kang-dae. She and Kim Joon-suk in row two. Park San-hoon and Min Gi-beom were in seats D and E, directly across from her. Their manager and a few of the upper staff filled the rest of first class. She was the only traveler not affiliated with the group sitting among them. She started to consider this fact when the plane began to move.

She hadn't considered take off! She hadn't thought about sitting in a tin can going hundreds of miles per hour, thousands of miles above the ground! But all that information suddenly rushed to the front of her thoughts. She froze as the plane begin to speed up to soar among the clouds.

BREATHE!

She suddenly felt warmth prying against her fingers. She opened her eyes to catch San-hoon loosening her grip and taking hold of her hand. That one gesture filled her with gratitude, and eased some of her fears. She found comfort in his calming eyes, and felt herself relax, until the wheels were clearly not touching the ground anymore. She squeeze a little harder without realizing. She closed her eyes, but held fast.

When the flight attendant needed to pass, she was forced to release his hand. She drew that hand to her chest, trying desperately to hold on to the comfort it had brought. Said a quick little prayer to calm herself, forced her shoulders to relax and took a deep breath. She had survived. Just 15 hours until she'd do it all again in reverse.

____________••____________

THEM: LITTLE SISTER

He was neither glad nor upset that the American girl would be his seat mate for the long journey home. Kim Joon-suk had found her easy to talk to and a welcome change to their usual airport routine. To talk to a normal person, about normal things and be treated like a normal person was refreshing. He had found fame a little difficult to handle, all the attention and admiration made his uncomfortable.

He was the eldest member, even if by only seven months, and it was a serious role. It was a role he enjoyed and, though they sometimes complained or teased, he knew his four little brothers relied on his leadership. He would always put them above everything. They were his family and he would care for them fiercely. He had no real family of his own.