Chapter 11

Patton was laying on his bed when he heard the knock on his door. "G-go away," he tried to say. Talking was difficult.

        Just breathing caused so much pain. He wanted it to stop.

        "It's Virgil," said the voice from the other side of the door.

        If Virgil was worried about him, there wasn't any chance of him going away anytime soon. He changed out of his bloodstained shirt into a clean one so it looked like nothing was wrong. "Come in."

        Virgil walked in, immediately coming to the bed and tried to act as comfort for Patton. "Hey. What's wrong?"

        He put on a happy facade. "Nothing! Everything's just fine here-"

        "No, you're not fine. I can tell you're not. Now tell me what's wrong."

        Wow. He knew they were close, but he didn't think it was that obvious. "Kiddo, I know you're Anxiety, and it's your job to worry- but"

        "Patton! Just be honest with me for a moment."

        He let the act drop. "I'm having a hard time with feelings."

        "How so?"

        "It's... complicated. But I think I like Janus. Like, ah, how do I put this..."

        "I think I get what you mean. And you want to tell him how you feel?"

        "Yes. But I'm not sure how."

        "I'd say he'd probably want you to just tell him, and if he doesn't feel the same, well, you tried."

        If he didn't feel the same, Patton would literally die. But Virgil didn't know that, and he wasn't about to bring it up. "Thanks kiddo."

        "No problem, Popstar." With that, he left Patton to be alone again. The petals he'd managed to suppress during their conversation couldn't be held back any longer. The blood ruined another shirt of his.

        But now maybe he'd consider the idea of confessing to Janus.