Chapter Two: Coffee & Conversation

Sun streamed through the windows, causing Catalina's eyes to flutter open. She rolled over, pulling the cover up to her nose. How she longed to stay in bed. If she stayed in bed, she wouldn't have to do work, nor would she have to face Madame Colbourne. That was always a bonus in her eyes. She nuzzled into the silk sheets of her bed, wishing that-

Wait. Silk sheets?

But her sheets at Madame Colbourne's were cotton.

Catalina jolted up, her eyes opening wide to take in her surroundings. Golden decorative pieces on the walls, a vanity in the corner, a wardrobe filled to the brim with nice dresses, it was all straight out of a dream. But the beauty of it was, it truly was her reality. She took a deep breath of freedom before stepping on the hardwood floors.

The clock on her nightstand read that it was only a little after eight, which was three hours later than her typical wake-up time. She stretched as she looked out the cream-curtained windows. Below, she saw the trees she walked past in the storm only the night before. Yet, they were different. No longer did they seem terrifying and ominous. Now she could see how green and lush they were. Now she could see the birds and squirrels they housed. Now she could see the wonders of nature, and she loved every bit of it.

Catalina opened her wardrobe, hoping there was something in there more comfortable to wear than her dirty rags. At least fifteen gorgeous dresses hung daintily in her wardrobe, as if they'd never been worn. She took out a pale blue dress with a white ribbon around the waist. After dusting off the dress, she slipped it on, surprised to find that it was a perfect fit for her petite figure. It was by far the fanciest thing she had ever worn, and she tried to take great care of it as she walked out of the room.

The castle had more rooms than Catalina could count on her fingers and toes. She'd explored a few of them with Scarlett the night before, but she had yet to fully experience them. She passed by the library, the tea room, the sewing room, the ballroom, and many more. She couldn't imagine how one person could live in such a majestic place. More importantly, she couldn't figure out why Scarlett was all alone in such a majestic place.

She found herself waltzing into the kitchen, which was in a much finer condition than she expected. There were many appliances that looked like they'd barely been used, the cabinets were well stocked, and there was even a plethora of food there. Catalina examined the food in the kitchen, thinking back to all the dishes her mother made when she was a child. All the great smells of the freshly cooked meals came back in her memory, making her smile.

Pan de barra, idiazábal, carne de cerdo, cebolla...

She smiled as a recipe came to her mind. Quickly, she began preparing the meat and bread for the dish, remembering the ways her mother taught her. Back in Alegría, she was always cooking with her mother and father. They didn't have much, but what they could scavenge from their tiny farm was enough to sustain them.

She continued cooking and humming songs from her childhood, dancing around the kitchen with great joy. It was so peaceful doing things on her own account. It was so peaceful not waiting on others hand and foot. It was so peaceful to be free to do anything and everything.

As she was preparing her dish, she felt something soft against her ankle. She looked down to see a brown tail wagging cutely against her leg. She giggled as she noticed Scarlett on all fours, eyes fixated on the meat in the dish Catalina was preparing. She panted like a puppy dog begging for treats.

"Morning, Scarlett." She smiled.

Scarlett blinked a few times, as if she was attempting to gain control of herself. She looked down at her paws, then quickly stood up. Her face was flushed with embarrassment.