Chapter Eight: Nose Stuck in a Book

"Why didn't you tell me you had so many books?" Catalina smiled as she waltzed into the library.

"I didn't think it was of any importance." Scarlett shrugged. "They're just books."

Catalina turned towards Scarlett quickly, a glare pointed at the young royal. "Just books? How can you say that?" She placed her hand on one of the books' spine. "I owe a lot to these glorified pieces of parchment. Without them, I would've never been able to communicate with you."

"So that's how you learned Meilleurian?" Scarlett questioned.

"Yes, indeed." Catalina nodded. "My parents couldn't speak it, for they were only taught Alegrían. I was the same way until the age of seven. Thankfully, that's when I met a local bookkeeper. He spoke both Alegrían and Meilleurian, being the only bilingual person in our small town. So, I learned from him. I studied like a madwoman, for it was the only legitimate education I was receiving. Every weekday, I stayed at his shop for three hours reading and writing until I could call myself fluent."

"Books mean a lot to you, don't they?" Scarlett asked.

"They do," Catalina said, then her eyes spotted a familiar book title. "You have this?"

Catalina pulled out the crimson-colored book, her fingertips running along the engraving on the spine and cover. She flipped through the pages, smiling to herself as memories of her childhood came flooding back to her.

"I suppose so," Scarlett replied. "What is it?"

"Dancing in the Ships," Catalina read the cover. "This was one of the first books I ever read. I was just learning to speak Meilleurian and that bookkeeper I mentioned before told me to read it. It's one of my favorites."

"What's it about?" Scarlett stepped closer, peering over Catalina's shoulder at the pages she held.

Catalina cleared her throat. "A princess is kidnapped by a band of pirates who call themselves 'The Jolly Scallywags'. The leader of the pirates tries to persuade her to tell them how to get into the vault of riches beneath the castle. But the princess refuses, angering her. Many battles of wit and agility ensue."

"Wow," Scarlett chuckled. "I didn't know books could have such high-intensity tales inside them."

"So many!" Catalina beamed. "I'm surprised you haven't discovered that in all the books you have here."

"I haven't read many." Scarlett shrugged. "The books I was told to read were always boring and monotonous."

"They don't all have to be that way," Catalina said.

Scarlett smirked. "So I've heard." She looked down for a moment, as if she was contemplating something. "Read it to me."

"Read what?"

"Your book," Scarlett said. "The one about the princess and the pirates. It sounded fun to me."

"I'd be delighted to read it," Catalina replied.

She took Scarlett's paw as they moved to the couch in front of the fireplace. Scarlett seemed a bit surprised at the gesture, but took Catalina's hand nonetheless. Catalina opened the book as they sat down, reading the text in a soft, yet dramatic voice.

The tale was truly one of the most fascinating stories Catalina had ever read. She loved the drama of the plotline, the humor of the pirates, and the lovely relationship between the princess and the leader of the pirates. It made her yearn for such a fantastical life. And it made her want to learn to use a sword.

As she continued to read the story, she could feel herself moving closer and closer to Scarlett. First, she leaned against Scarlett's arm, then she moved her legs into Scarlett's lap. By the climax of the story, Catalina was practically sitting on top of Scarlett, with her head against her chest and her legs being held in Scarlett's paw. She couldn't help it. It was far too easy getting comfortable with Scarlett. She was so sweet and gentle. Plus, her fur was so soft to rest against.