Chapter Fifteen: Tale as Old as Time

Catalina took a deep breath in as she placed her hand on the ballroom door. She hadn't danced in years and barely remembered the waltzes her mother had taught her as a young girl. But she knew that tonight wasn't about her skills as a dancer, or lack thereof. Tonight was about having fun. Tonight, she would dance with Scarlett and let her worries melt away. And that was all she ever wanted.

She picked up her crimson skirt with one hand, entering the ballroom. The golden lights from the chandelier bathed her in their heavenly glow. Their light reflected off of the golden embroidery on the skirt of her dress, sewn to mimic the roses on Scarlett's jacket. The white, flowy, off-the-shoulder sleeves flew as she walked, making her appear as though she were an angel. Her hair, instead of its usual wavy self, was now up in a bun adorned with a beautiful red rose that matched the skirt of her dress.

She looked up, catching Scarlett's eye. The royal stood in front of her, frozen in shock. She walked towards Catalina, who curtsied in front of her.

"Good evening, Your Highness," she said.

"You look beautiful, Catalina." Scarlett took Catalina's hand in hers and pressed a light kiss to the top of it. "You're the one who looks like a princess."

"Is this what being a princess feels like?" Catalina asked. "If so, consider me royalty."

Scarlett laughed. "Your Highness." She dramatically bowed in front of her. "Would you grant me the honor of dancing with you tonight?"

Catalina beamed. "I'd love to dance with you, Scarlett."

A smile formed across Scarlett's lips as she took Catalina's hand gently and led her across the dance floor. Her paw rested against Catalina's back, causing her breath to hitch. Catalina delicately placed her hand on Scarlett's arm, her fingers running against the crimson material of her jacket.

Faintly, the sounds of an orchestra began to rise around them, taking Catalina by surprise. Scarlett only chuckled, pulling her in closer.

"This castle's magic, remember?" she said. "I suppose it wanted to help us out a little."

"Perfect timing." Catalina smirked.

As the music crescendoed, Scarlett twirled Catalina around the room. The two danced as if they were floating on air, twirling above the cosmos. Catalina's skirt beautifully whirled around as she turned, creating an exquisitely picturesque scene.

Catalina looked up at Scarlett. Feelings of only happiness filled her just by simply looking into her greenish-blue eyes. As mesmerizing as they were, Scarlett's eyes weren't what captivated Catalina so. In fact, she couldn't place what was the true captivator. Could it have been her gentle disposition that only reflected kindness? Could it have been her charm and humor that kept her giggling at every given moment? Or could it have been something more that she simply couldn't place?

Scarlett looked down at Catalina. Her heart swelled with pure joy upon looking at her. Catalina was truly the most beautiful girl Scarlett had ever encountered. One look at her luscious brown locks and her sparkling brown eyes and her beautifully tanned skin could leave anyone entranced by her beauty. But it wasn't her beauty that made Scarlett so enamored with the young seamstress. But she couldn't pinpoint what trait outshined the rest. Was it her determination and vigor that left her mesmerized? Was it her wit and wisdom that she was always astounded by? Or was it something more that she simply couldn't place?

Brown and blue locked, sending a message that couldn't be described with words. Rather, it could be described with emotion. The feeling of joy, happiness, and excitement. The feeling of understanding, care, and knowing. The feeling of compassion, generosity, and loyalty. All feelings blended together to create it, a feeling so powerful that words were too weak to match it.