Hermione's Advice

Fifth Year

November 30, 1995.

Gryffindor Common Room

"Hermione, I need your help."

Hermione spun around as the sound of her best friends voice stole her attention away from the Charms textbook she was studying.

She could tell he was quite disturbed. He had that nervous and almost bashful look those bright emerald eyes she so loved to stare into.

"Yes, Harry?" she asked.

"Well, er - you see, the Hogsmeade weekend is coming up in a couple days...and, well... There's someone I'd like to ask, but I'm not sure how because... Well, you know," explained Harry.

She did indeed know. Harry was very awkward, especially when it came to girls. She was no expert when it came to romance either, of course, but she still had experienced far more love in her life than Harry had, if only from her parents and though she'd never tell anyone, she loved romance novels.

It was probably Cho Chang he needed help asking. She couldn't stop the pang of sadness and jealousy as she remembered that last year, Cho, pretty and sporty Cho, had captured the heart of the boy she herself had fallen for five years ago...

Hermione already knew Harry would never return her feelings; who would? But it didn't make it hurt any less.

"I was wondering if you could - er - give me a little - er - a-advice?" Harry continued.

"Sure, Harry." She smiled sadly. "Who is it?"

He smiled sheepishly. "You'll see. She's quite impressive... She's really smart - brilliant, really - she's so beautiful and she has a heart of gold. She's always been there for me," said Harry as he stared into her eyes.

It couldn't be Cho, could it then? Harry had only met her last year, and it wasn't as though they were particularly close... Maybe Ginny? Yes, it was probably Ginny. She'd certainly gotten much prettier over the years, and Harry had know her since first year. Ginny finally got him to notice her...

"She sounds brilliant, Harry. I'd be happy to help you ask her," lied Hermione. "Do you two talk often?"

"Oh yes, very. But other than a few passing moments, we've don't really spoken romantically."

"Well, you should try to, uhm - flirt. You know, compliment her more, or just touch her hand to initiate contact, and the moment you feel the moment is right, ask her," said Hermione as she stood from her chair and squeezed his forearm encouragingly.

"Touch her hand? Won't that be weird?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "It's only weird if you make it weird, Harry."

"Hmm..." Harry reached out his hand and softy brushed it against hers, before squeezing it softly.

Hermione's face felt warm at the contact and she knew it was most likely red, she hoped he didn't notice.

"Wh- what are you doing?"

"Oh, just testing your theory," said Harry casually.

"Oh...right." she nodded. She stared into his eyes for a moment, transfixed, before he spoke again.

"Yeah, I think you're right, it seems to be working!" he smirked and Hermione blushed even harder. "What else could I do?" asked Harry innocently as he tilted his head to the side and pulled his hand back.

Hermione cleared her throat and tore her eyes away from his, staring determinedly into the dancing flames in the fireplace.

"You could, erm - you know, wrap your arm around her waist and stuff and - and - you know, just little stuff like that," stammered Hermione.