Ch.42 Stay

Chapter 42

The cold dead winter slowly gave way to green spring.

Everyone on campus forgot about Brody and Kiara's drama as the warm air and bright sunlight of spring lifted everyone's mood. Macy returned to campus and resumed classes along with Arla.

Kiara was thrilled to have her friend back. And Killian liked seeing her happy. Lord knew she needed the distractions.

With each passing day, Kiara's urge to teleport grew more and more. At first Killian wasn't aware of how bad things were getting until he started to notice how nervous Kiara got anytime he planned dates off campus.

Going back to the fates was a constant topic of argument between them. Killian believed wholeheartedly they would be able to help her. He had tried many times to ask the ladies himself. But after the stunt with Macy, Killian wasn't really in a position to demand anything from the fates.

When things started to get really bad with Kiara, Killian knew he had to do something. Every time she teleported and cried in his arms with some strangers' blood on her, a little bit of him broke. During the day, Kiara was fine. But at night things got really bad.

With nowhere else to turn, Killian was forced to call the one person he swore he would never speak to. He didn't tell Kiara who he had contacted. He knew she would want to know everything that was said. Killian didn't have the heart to repeat his mother's horrible words.

"There's still time, Killian," Azazel had said when Killian went to see her in Italy. "Come stay with me. Let her and Tobias deal with this."

"I can't leave her," Killian said in frustration. "I love her and when you love someone, you don't leave them."

"Is that why you left me?" Azazel raised a brow. "Because you didn't love me?"

"You never taught me to love," Killian said.

"And Kiara did?" Azazel laughed.

"I'm not going to have this conversation again and again," Killian leaned forward. He watched his mother peer at him from under her large sunhat. Her copper hair blew in the hot wind as she fiddled with her sunglasses and iced tea.

"Tell me how I can help Kia," Killian said. "Tell me and maybe it'll buy you some points to stay in my life."

"I will always be in your life," Azazel narrowed her eyes.

"You won't be if I don't want you to be," Killian said. "I'll make sure of that."

"What kind of life will the two of you have?" Azazel sighed in frustration.

"A damn good one," Killian snapped. "Now, please. If you know anything just tell me."

Azazel pursed her lips and shook her head. She could see the desperation in her son's eyes and knew he had just enough of her wildness to follow through with his threat. She wanted him to be happy. She really did. She just wished he would pick her options for him.

"She needs to give in to the madness," Azazel sighed audibly after a few short seconds.

"What?" Killian asked, confused.

"Does she get violent thoughts? Violent urges?"

"Yes," Killian nodded.

"That's all raw energy that builds up after a while," Azazel said. "She's chaos....violent death. She needs to be that."

"But she doesn't want that."

"Think of it like a bucket," Azazel held up her glass. "Kiara is the bucket and her urges are the water. Now a bucket has to fill up sooner or later before it spills. But if this bucket had a hole that let water out at the same rate at which the water filled it up then you have a perfect balance."