You Can't Wake The Dead (Snake of Death)

A/N DON'T WORRY, ARUDEN IS COMING (I just wish there was more of these two)
Set during Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality
Mini x Rudy, Aru x Aiden, and Brynne x Hira have already happened
WARNINGS: Slightly violent

"We're never going to make it out of here!" Aru screamed as she kicked the door of the jail cell.

Mini groaned as she moved closer to Rudy, pressing herself against his side.

"So many germs! Did you know that rats carry Hantavirus? That's deadly!" she whimpered, clutching at the front of Rudy's shirt.

"Forget that!" Nikita cried. "Look at these outfits, they're ghastly!"

"Guys, I can't focus!" Aru yelled.

"Deep breaths, Shah." her boyfriend said, rubbing soothing circles onto her back.

Mini squeaked as a rat scurried out from the shadow, and pressed herself as close to the naga as possible. Rudy nudged the rat with his foot, terrified, but trying to look strong for Mini.

The telltale clicking of their captor's shoes drew nearer, and the Potatoes all looked up in terror. Aiden pulled Aru behind him (much to her annoyance), Hira yelped and grabbed Brynne's hand, Rudy wrapped his arms protectively around Mini's waist, and Nikita and Sheela huddled in the corner, holding each other tight.

The Sleeper grinned at them.

"This is your last warning. Give me the information... Or pay the price."

"Never." Brynne snarled.

"You wouldn't want to see your poor sister hurt, would you." he asked, turning in Mini's direction.

Fear flashed across the other's faces. Rudy growled, enveloping her further.

"Don't touch her."

The Sleeper shrugged and stepped into the cell, walking through the bars. "Suit yourself."

He grabbed Mini and threw her against the wall. Hira screamed, running to check on her. Aru was hot on her heels, although Aiden tried to make a grab for her.

They heard a loud (somewhat high-pitched) scream, and they all swiveled around to see Rudy fall to the floor, the sleeper holding a whip. His back had a giant lash across it and it was starting to bleed out.

Aiden's eyes widened and he yearned to go to his cousin. He may annoy him half to death... But they were family.

The Sleeper smirked, bringing down the whip and another scream echoed through the cell.

"STOP!" Mini cried, tears streaming down her face.

"Tell me where the Amrita is, and I'll let him go."

"We don't know!" Hira cried desperately.

The Sleeper grew angrier and he began to beat Rudy more furiously, ignoring the Potatoes' pleads for him to stop.

"WE SAID WE DON'T KNOW!" Aru shouted. "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO REALIZE THAT IT'S TRUE?!"

The Sleeper glanced up, and gazed into Aru's eyes. He must have seen some truth in them because he snapped his fingers, transporting them out of the dungeon. They soon hit solid ground in some sort of forest.

Mini immediately rushed to Rudy. His breathing was jagged and he grasped Mini's hand.

"O-Okay, j-just stay still. I-I have t-to st-o-op the b-leed-ding, o-or it could get infected-" she began to rambled, out of her mind with worry.

"Min. Mini." he said, trying to gain her attention.

She looked into his eyes, and he smiled weakly, trying to give her his famous smile which had girls fall at his feet (or so he says).

"Y-Yeah."

"Min, don't bother. I-" he groaned, pain searing through his body.

"Don't speak." she said, placing a finger to his lips."

"Y-You know, the only thing I regretted about being color blind was not being-being able to see how you really looked." he said. "But you never cared about that did you?"

She shook her head, wiping her nose on her sleeve. His hand caressed her cheek softly.

"My beautiful, sweet, strong, medical-obsessed girl." he said. "I'm so sorry, Min."

"N-No, Rudy, there's a way to... There's gotta be some sort of-"

"Mini." Aiden said, as she turned to look at him. He merely shook his head.

"Just talk to him." Aru said.

"I... Remember the day we met?"

He laughed. "Officially or before?"

"B-Before."

"I think I remember you walking into a telephone pole." he chuckled. "I knew I could disorient girls easily."

She sniffed. "Yeah. You could. Most of them d-didn't really l-like you though."

He tried to grin but instead grimaced in pain. "Didn't really matter though, did it? I managed to woo the one girl where it would have meant something if I couldn't." he took in a sharp intake of breath clutching his side.

"R-Rudy?!" she asked, panicking.

"I-I love you, Min. I'm just sorry I didn't... Didn't see it before." he breathed, before falling still.

Mini shook him, hoping he'd wake up.

"Mini..." Aru said. "He's not coming back."

"STOP IT!" she shouted.

Mini knew what she was trying to say. But she didn't want to believe it. Rudy had to live. It didn't matter that his wounds were fatal. It didn't matter that he wasn't breathing. It didn't matter that his brain had stopped working. Mini refused to accept it. But as an aspiring doctor, some small subconsious part of her brain knew the truth.

I didn't matter how hard you tried... You couldn't wake the dead.