Chapter 2

Two

I decided to drive myself to school the next day, so I left almost twenty minutes before Dustin normally came. I still wasn't sure what to do about yesterday. There was a small cut on my bottom lip but it didn't hurt anymore. But I still couldn't believe he would touch me in this way. Dustin had always been a little controlling and a little too opinionated about what I did and wore. I ignored it most of the time, especially in the beginning, because I had liked him enough to put up with him.

But things were different now and our relationship wasn't where it was before. I wasn't the same person that I was when I first started high school. After this summer, and maybe even before it, I wasn't interested in being with someone anymore. If I had my parents' relationship to look forward to, then I didn't want a relationship at all.

I mean, my dad was always great to my mom. He was one of the good guys, and now he's alone and heartbroken while my mom is probably screwing her boss in any position she can imagine. If this means I stay far away from whatever love is, then I have no problem with that.

I wasn't sure if I loved Dustin, but it didn't matter because I knew I couldn't be with him anymore. Him putting his hands on me finally gave me the chance to say it.

I pulled into the school lot and took a deep breath. I didn't want to see Dustin yet because I wasn't sure how to say it, so I stayed in my car for fifteen minutes hoping that he wouldn't be in the halls when I got out.

I turned the hall and saw Cassie waiting for me by the locker. I walked up to her and she grinned.

"How was your detention?" She asked.

"Nothing special. Did I mention my dad has known him since he was a little kid? Oh, and he had dinner with us yesterday," I said as I took my books out for class. She slammed my locker shut and looked at me with wide eyes.

"No, you failed to mention!"

"Cas! You could have just broken my hand. You're freaking crazy."

"Sorry, Dee. I can't help myself when it comes to that man. God, he is so fine I just want one night, one night."

I put my hand over my eyes and shook my head, fighting back my smile She would have left me with one hand all because she wants to bang my Biology teacher. Maybe I should reconsider my friends. The warning bell for first period rang and I groaned.

"Are we ever going to make it to homeroom on time?" I asked.

"You're the one that took forever to get here. Why'd you take so long anyway?"

"Oh right, well, I'm probably breaking up with Dustin," I said and watched as her eyes went wide.

"What? You're serious?"

I nodded and avoided eye contact.

"Is it because of your hot teacher?" she asked and I snapped my head in her direction.

"No! I just don't want to be in a relationship anymore. Dustin is a good guy, but I don't want to risk getting hurt." Okay so maybe I'm not mentioning that he was getting more and more possessive, and it was actually scaring me, but she didn't need to know that.

"There will always be hurt, Dee. If it isn't from a relationship, it will come from somewhere else."

"Well, at least it won't be from a relationship then." The final bell for first period rang and I cursed under my breath.

"Now I'm late for class, too." Out of all the classes it had to be AP Biology. I groaned internally as I walked in and all eyes were on me.

"Nice of you to join us, Ms. Reynolds." Mr. Livingston motioned for me to take my seat. I sighed as I sat down and he looked at me before continuing what he was saying.