Chapter 36

I arrive at the Floodgates before sunrise. Grey light blankets the city as I make my way through the streets towards the palace. I catch a ride with a horseman whose day has just begun. I spend the day hidden away in Ruben's room. Frustration festers until Ruben and I head to dinner.

We arrive early, but our friends arrive soon enough.

They file in one by one. An auburn head materialises and my vision blurs. Anger bursts into my head, hot.

"Betrayal," I hiss.

I march up to him and shove his chest. He stumbles backwards, smacking into the wall and swearing. Ruben and Ajax yell behind me, but I block them out. Keeping my arm pressed into Killian's ribs, I glare at him. "You're a liar. You are no friend of ours."

"What the fuck?" Ajax barks, pushing me off Killian. "What are you spouting, Elle?"

"He betrayed us, Ajax!" I throw my pointed finger at Killian. "He told Edward."

"He told Edward what?"

"Edward knows about our army. Killian told him all about it." I spit the words, my tongue dripping with venom.

"Elle, you don't understand!" Killian splutters a protest at last.

"Never tell me I don't understand." I snap my burning eyes to him. "You'll have us all killed."

"You don't know that, Elle. Besides, he is most likely to kill you first," he snaps.

"Killian, what the fuck?" Ruben shoves his shoulder.

Killian catches himself and glares at Ruben, his face crimson. "You know it's true. Edward Mallory and Hatchman have wanted Elle's head for months. They will kill her when they can."

"You think he won't kill us all?" I counter, lurching forward. I snatch his wrist and push the crumpled piece of paper into his fist. "You really think so, Killian?"

His light brown eyes blaze into my own, and his pinched lips twitch with rage. He unravels the paper, and at last, drops his gaze. His eyes snap back up. "What's this?"

"11. 11. 2160," I say. "The eleventh of November."

"Edward wrote this. What does it mean?"

I narrow my eyes at him and sigh. "I'm not yet sure. I'm still trying to figure it out."

"I didn't betray you, Elle," Killian whispers so low no one else will hear.

I blow out a sarcastic laugh and sneer. "I don't believe you."

Hurt pierces his eyes and his lip trembles. "Fine, Elle." He throws the paper in my face, spins around, and storms away.

Monet glares at me. She crosses her arms over her chest. "I can't believe you, Elle," she spits. "I thought you were a more trusting friend."

"Whatever. Edward is coming. We need to figure out his plan before he kills us all."

I turn on my heel and march out of the dining room. Through the hall, into the foyer, up the stairs towards Ruben's room. Kicking off my boots, I crawl into the bed. I pull the blanket up to my chin and stare, numb, out of the window. The sky is deep navy. The waning moon rises into oblivion, reaching its ghost fingers over the tops of the Walls.

Soon enough, the door breaks open. Ruben treads in carrying a tray of dinner.

"I brought you pasta, since you didn't eat," he whispers.

Warmth washes over my body, and I sit up, smiling. "Thank you, my love."

He sits on the edge of the mattress and hands me the tray. The tomato-based pasta sends my stomach rumbling and I grab the fork, stabbing a piece and shoving it in my mouth.