Chapter 8: Sudden Hiking Trip

"Hey, uh, Cynthia? How much farther until we get to the top? We've been walking around for a while now. Getting any closer to the top?"

The words that came out of your mouth echoed throughout the stone tunnels all throughout Mt. Coronet, prompting Cynthia to turn around, still glaring into the map she's been holding for the last several hours.

"I think we missed a right turn several paces back."

"'Missed a right turn'? What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm starting to think this map is drawn wrong. Are we on the second or the fourth floor? Hmm... What do you think, Gabite?"

Gabite just growls at her and turns the other way, not wanting to answer the question. You wouldn't blame her. Cynthia's the one holding the map here. It feels like the two of you have been going around in circles for some time now, and she keeps getting her mind in a knot. You wouldn't have guessed that the girl so invested in archaeology would be so bad at reading maps. That's gonna have to be something she works on.

"You know, if we really are lost, you can just say it. I really don't want to carry this huge bag around when we're not getting anywhere."

"You don't need to do that. I promise we'll get there soon. At least eventually... J-just you watch, [Y/N]!"

"Is that a crack in your voice I hear? Oh boy. I'll start setting up camp, you go on and figure out the directions."

Cynthia's cheeks flush, her face curling into a tiny pout because of your words. She walks up to you and smacks you on the back of the head with the old dusty map, trying to convince herself that she knows the way.

"Hmph! Don't make fun of me! I told you it'll be just fine! Besides, we still have a lot of time before the day ends, right?"

"Dunno. I haven't seen any sunlight for a while, and even my Poketch is malfunctioning. We should check when we find a way outside."

Cynthia nods and goes back to figuring out the layout of the map. You and Pupitar decide to explore the gargantuan cave system just for kicks, making sure to leave behind a trail in case Cynthia wanted to look for you; in this case, small psychic marks left by Ralts and some cracks on the floor from Pupitar. Once you reached a farther branch of the caves, you start striking up a conversation with both of your Pokemon, making sure not to make too much noise.

"How're you guys enjoying the trip so far? Bet you liked all the rocks and dirt you can eat here, eh, Pupitar?"

Pupitar nods his head and growls as silently as he could. You give him a light knock to the head, accidentally tipping him over for a moment. He gets back up and tackles you in the leg right next to Ralts, who confronts him for it. They start getting into an argument that you can't decipher, though you probably know why.

"Hey, hey, hey. No fighting in here. Ralts, I appreciate you trying to look out for me, but Pupitar was just playing around. And Pupitar, that tackle hurt. Sorry I accidentally knocked you over, but don't go all out on me. Got it?"

They both still feel angry at each other, but Ralts was the first to understand, thanks to her being able to sense emotions. She hangs her head low, tugging on your pants as a means of saying sorry. Meanwhile, Pupitar fittingly doesn't seem so eager to make it up to Ralts. You decide to put them both in their Pokeballs, away from each other for the time being. With a sigh and a wasted opportunity to bond with your Pokemon, you return to Cynthia.

Who is still walking around with the map in hand, eventually giving up and sitting down in exhaustion.

"[Y/N]! There you are. I have good news and bad news for you. Which one would you like to hear first?"