Chapter 4

"I mean he knew what he signed up for when he agreed to be with me, right?" Jefferson asks angrily, then wraps his lips around the paper straw from his fast-food cup.

He and his best friend and personal assistant, Maya, are sat in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant not far from the Law School which Harvey attends.

Normally Maya wouldn't have allowed Jeff to pig out like this outside of a scheduled vacation, but considering the distress the celebrity seemed to be feeling, she figures this is as good a reason as any to break the rules. She seems to be doing that a lot since Jeff started dating Harvey.

"So... one of your fans asked about your sex life and you answered candidly." she starts, pops a french fry in her mouth, then continues, "And Harvey is pissed because he thinks that information is too private to share."

"That's about it." Jefferson sighs, frowning deeply. His dark brows set heavy above his eyes.

"This whole relationship stuff is exhausting. I'm never falling in love."

"Unfortunately, you don't really get a choice in the matter," Jeff rolls his eyes and slumps in the car seat, "I just don't get why he's so surprised when I share stuff with my fans."

"What exactly did he say during your argument?" Maya asks, diplomatically.

"That I'm 'encouraging' their behaviour by volunteering private information. He thinks the more stuff I tell them, the more they'll want from me." Jeff scoffs, "It's just crazy! Like this is how my fans are, I'm always open with them! He's blown this out of proportion."

Maya regards him silently, waiting for him to finish, before responding, "Did you even try to see things from his perspective before gaslighting him into oblivion?"

"I-" Jefferson pouts, "I don't understand. You're supposed to be on my side."

"I am. Which means I have to tell you when you're being a fuckwit." Maya raises a black eyebrow, "I don't know why I have to point this out to you, Jay, but you were born into fame."

"Exactly! So, my fans and I have a very close relationship-"

"No! That wasn't the point, man!" The dark-haired woman rolls her eyes and sighs audibly, "You were born into fame, so you don't know the concept of privacy. You don't know what Harvey has sacrificed by deciding to publicly date you. Before this, he, quite happily, lived a life of anonymity. Of going grocery shopping in broad daylight, and posting embarrassing photos on social media, and liking political posts without worrying about optics."

Jeff stays quiet as he listens to his best friend's words.

"He has never had to be restricted like this. He's gone from complete freedom, to thinking about every move he makes. All for your sake. Because he doesn't want to negatively impact your career. So, I think the least you can do is understand why he's so desperate to keep whatever privacy he has left."

"I understand." Jeff looks at her sheepishly, "I guess I never thought about it like that."

"It's okay, Jay. You're new to this whole dating a civilian thing. No one can blame you." Maya smiles, rubbing his arm.

"I just... I don't know how to do this whole privacy thing. I don't know if I even can?"

"The least you can do is try. Harvey's changed so much about his life to be with you, is it too much to ask for you to reciprocate."

~~~

"Vodka or chardonnay?" Luke asks, each hand occupied by a dark green bottle of either drink.