Chapter 10

When Jefferson wakes up, it's pitch black, save for a sliver of moonlight creating a bright stream across the room.

He rolls over to look at Harvey's side of the bed.

Empty.

Huh, he thinks, how long was I asleep?

With a groan and a stretch, he drags himself up and out of bed, on a mission to find his boyfriend.

Rubbing a tired hand over his face, Jeff ventures out of the room, and is met with the soft sound of the television.

Beneath the hum of the TV, however, is the faint but unmistakable sound of crying.

What the hell? He thinks before hurrying toward the noise. He finds himself at the door of the living room, staring at the TV... and Harvey's thin body curled up on the couch in front of it.

"Harv-" Jeff begins to say, but he's interrupted by the sound of his own name coming from the speakers.

"Jefferson Blake, acclaimed actor, global superstar, and... Love rat?" The reporter says as images of Harvey and Jeff flood the screen, "The twenty-three-year-old actor has been in an apparently happy relationship with law student Harvey King for over two years. However, all may not be as it seems, as new images have surfaced of Jefferson locking lips with his female co-star, Danielle Peterson."

At the mention of the incident, an image is put onto the screen. It's a grainy photograph, though the subjects are unmistakable. It's hard to miss the crown of strawberry blond hair adorning Jeff's head. Beside him is a thin, bottle blond – Danielle - who's leaned close to him in what can only be described as an embrace. Her small hands are lightly gripping Jefferson's jaw as the man himself is sat casually in his chair.

Then another picture flashes up, and this time the pair are impossibly close, their mouths inches apart. And another, even closer. Closer and closer until...

"Oh." Jefferson blurts to himself, "Oh god no."

The sound pulls Harvey out of his trance. Where he had just been sat on the couch, knees pulled flush to his chest, he is now looking up, his head lifted from being buried in his arms, and his eyes are pointing directly at Jeff.

"Harvey..." The actor wants to say something, but for some reason, no explanation seems to suffice. "I'm sorry."

"What for?" Is all Harvey says. His brown eyes uncharacteristically blank as he looks at his boyfriend appraisingly, "What did you do?"

Jeff frowns, stepping further into the room and gesturing sluggishly towards the TV, "I...Uh... Didn't you see?"

Harvey doesn't move his head, but his eyes dart in the direction of the television for a millisecond, "Yeah. I saw."

"Then why-"

"Because I want you to tell me what you did." The brunette says as if it's the simplest thing in the world.

"I..." Jeff is speechless. He's grateful that Harvey is giving him a chance to explain himself, but he isn't sure the explanation he's prepared is something he wants to share. He didn't cheat. He can start with that, the truth. But something in Harvey's gaze, his tone of voice, tells Jefferson that Harvey isn't just asking about the cheating. He's asking about everything else. Everything that Jeff has been too afraid to share that led to the situation they're in.

"I... She kissed me." Jeff splutters. "She kissed me, Harvey. We were talking, and maybe she misread something. But I pulled away as soon as I could."

"Okay." Comes the reply "She kissed you."

Silence.

Jeff can tell that the wheels are turning in Harvey's head as soon as he sees the expression on his face. Brown eyes trained directly into Jefferson's soul. Two, dark, empty chasms. What is he thinking?

"Why?"

"What?" Jeff asks, caught entirely off-guard.

"Why did she kiss you? Did you say something that she took the wrong way? Did she do it unprovoked? Out of the blue?" Harvey's words stream out of him before Jeff has a chance to digest even the first sentence, "If not, what were you talking about so that she felt it appropriate to spring a kiss on you?"

"I... I..."

"You what, Jeff? You can't tell me?" Harvey says, irritation starting to rise up within him as he continues to watch his boyfriend from the couch, "I'm giving you a chance to explain yourself, so please do. I want this to be false."

He gestures to the TV which is displaying a headline in bold red lettering saying 'Jefferson Blake: Cheater!'

"It is." Jeff nearly shouts in desperation, "Oh god, please, Harvey I promise it's false." His words are coming out rushed and slurred, like his brain is working faster than his mouth can cooperate, "Baby, I would never do that to you. Please believe me. Please, don't leave me. Please don't. I need you."

Harvey is silent. He just sits where Jeff found him, watching as the redhead begs and pleads, with an empty, exhausted expression.

"Alright." He finally says.

"... Alright?"

"I-" Sigh. "I don't have much to say right now." Harvey's mouth turns downwards, "You won't answer my question, so I don't have anything to say."

"But Harvey-"

"No. No, Jefferson. All I'm asking is for a little bit of co-operation." He stands up, slowly, calmly, "Of course I fucking believe you, Jeff. But that doesn't mean I'm not pissed, because if you hadn't done anything to provoke that behaviour from her, you would have told me. Wouldn't you?"

Jeff says nothing.

"Wouldn't you?" A raised eyebrow.

"...Yes. I would."

Harvey lets out a breath he hadn't realise was in his lungs. Then he nods, blinking once at their guest bedroom.

"I love you. But I'm pissed at you. So, I'm going to sleep in the spare room.

Jefferson frowns, taking a step toward the brunet, but stopping short when Harvey takes a obvious step away, "Please, take our room."

"I don't want it. It smells of..."

"Sex."

"You. I don't think straight when I'm surrounded by you. I forget what I'm upset about. I forget my problems. Even when it's something I want to remember, to feel." He walks toward the door of the spare room and turns back to look at his boyfriend, "I just want a night to think without you clouding my thoughts. Let me come to terms with it on my own. Okay?"

"Okay." Jeff agrees, half relieved at Harvey's trust in him, half mortified that he's caused the upset in Harvey's eyes, "I love you."

Harvey's lips twitch just a touch, "I love you too."

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this chapter.... haha jk, I'm sorry guys!

I'm halfway through the next chapter so if I don't release it by the end of this weekend don't hesitate to message me! I'm so easily distracted, so I always need a kick up the rear.

Also thank you for all the birthday messages!! I had a great time and went on a girls trip with some of my family, so barely had any time to think about writing. I've had celebrations planned for the whole month, so I'll try and write in between those times! 

I'd also like to note that I have an exam at some point in August so expect more writing because I'm most productive when I'm procrastinating....(I'm supposed to be studying right now lol)

Serena x