Chapter Eight ~ My Dear Old Friend

Light shone through the window pane as it hit your lidded eyes, causing you to wake up slowly. Lifting yourself off the ground with a yawn, you stretch out your legs and look over to your side. Laying beside you, completely passed out, was Jack. Seeing him like this made you think of when you first landed in the escape pod with him. He was calm, quiet - peaceful. He looked as though he hasn't had a good rest in a long while. As you stood to your feet, you decided to leave him be for the time being. If it was true, and he did have difficulty resting often, then you would hate to ruin this moment for him. He seemed deep in sleep... 

          Deciding that you were done, you sleepily walked to your bag, pulling out an assault rifle to keep beside you. You figured while Jack was sleeping, you should go to Ellie and have a little quality time with her - although you would always be focused on a task, you always made time to stop by Ellie's for a chat before heading off.

          You took a step out of the house, shielding your eyes from the scorching sun blazing down on the hot desert ground. You held your assault rifle readily in your arms as you began your trek to Ellie's Garage, leaving the car, the bag, and Jack behind for the morning. 

          As you walked alone, you got to thinking - what if you and Jack and run into each other on Tantalus? Could things have been different for him? He said how he had no one left in his family - neither did you. If you two had run into each other early on in life... maybe things would have been better for him. For you. 

          This thought lingered in your head as you arrived at Ellie's Garage. Stepping inside, you called out for Ellie. With no response, you called once more. 

          "Ellie!" ...

          You were greeted with silence. Perhaps she was out in the junkyard? It was also early in the morning, she could easily be sleeping. With a shrug, you made your way to her garage, lifting the door open. You figured it wouldn't hurt to wait for her, as you had nothing better to do. Stepping inside, you hopped up on the second level, near the vending machines. You smiled at Zed's friendly voice as it chirped up from his healing clinic. You sighed, leaning against it as you placed your assault rifle by your feet. Was it really this early? Or maybe she's out running an errand? You let your mind wonder the possibilities as you stood alone in her garage.

          However, you were torn away from your thoughts as a familiar whirring sound came from outside. Eyes widening, you knelt quickly, as you knew what that sound was coming from - the fast travel. You supposed you weren't the only early bird, as you heard a pair of feet land on the dusty ground with a soft grunt. You hid behind the shelves and boxes, quietly peeking your head out from behind the wall and near the window. Relief washed over you as you managed to see tufts of short sandy hair sticking out. A gruff voice called out the same name you were yelling before, as you registered who had appeared. 

          "Ellie?" Axton's voice hollered, as he began to walk more into view from the window. "Ellie, y'here??" You felt a warm smile beam across your face at his voice. God, were you relieved to hear him. As much as you wanted to go out and hug the life out of him, you knew you couldn't let him see you. Softly shifting your feet, you attempted to shuffle out of the garage unnoticed. Yet, regret filled your head as you accidentally kicked your assault rifle softly as you shuffled. You watched with a silent wince as it skidded to a halt on the other side of the room, making a painfully obvious noise. Axton stopped in his tracks, as everything went still. After a few moments of stillness, you heard his footsteps near the opening of the garage. 

          Shit.. you thought to yourself, staring at your assault rifle, then to the garage door. Axton's shadow poured inside, as you did your best to quietly hobble behind the shelves. Hoping they would hide you in their shadows. You then stifled your breath as you saw Axton walk in, his gun at the ready, an intense look in his eyes. Your focus was glued on him as he scanned the room suspiciously, his gaze landing on your assault rifle. Walking closer, he picked up the gun, examining it. His shadow was now cast over the shelf you were behind as you did your best to suppress your heavy breathing. In this moment, you considered how lucky you were that you didn't bring Jack along. Then you'd really be in deep shit.