Chapter Twenty One ~ Alone

After a moment, you found yourself beside the fast travel station in the Droughts. Taking a step away from it, you turned around and stared with your arms crossed in front of you as you waited for Jack to follow suit. When he didn't show up immediately after, you figured he was just composing himself from your punch - you did punch him hard, after all. 

          However, after a couple of minutes, you could tell that he wasn't going to show up. This you half expected. Though, now you had to trudge through the Droughts alone... what if you were attacked? Sure, you'd been fine well before he showed up, but you often traveled with the Vault Hunters. To take a long trek to the wreckage without anyone beside you? You'd have to be on guard 24/7. 

          "Whatever.." you mumbled to yourself, gripping the strap to your bag of guns as you spun around, beginning to walk away. You didn't need him, he'd only slow you down anyways. A party of one just means you only have one person to worry about - yourself. No one was about to slow you down from this mission. Though, it would be nice to have Tim along with you...

          No, asking Tim to join you would only anger Jack further...

          But why should you care about what Jack would feel?

          Still...

          Groaning in frustration, you lifted your left arm to open your menu, looking at Tim's contact on the screen. You could do it with a simple push of a button... you took a moment, staring at his name.

          ...

          No.. it just didn't feel right. A defeated sigh escaped your lips as you lowered your arm, grabbing your new pistol. You'd just have to fight for yourself. 

          One foot after another, you began to make your way through the desert. The sight of Helios' wreckage was just beyond the mountains of sand, and you knew it would take you at least a day to get there. Alone... maybe this alone time was a good for you? It'd give you a chance to think...

          So, you began to think. 

          The first thing that came to mind was what just happened in Sanctuary. Jack absolutely deserved getting punched. He was eyeing Moxxi, after all. Plus, as far as Moxxi knew, that was Tim! How would Moxxi see Tim now that she had that interaction with Jack? Despite being furious about it, you couldn't help but feel unsettled. It was the only reason you punched him, wasn't it? It was human decency to set him straight after staring at Moxxi like that. But still... something inside you tugged at your soul that told you it wasn't just for that. The way he seemed so intrigued by her... it sparked some sort of anger inside you, but you couldn't define where it was coming from. Or maybe you didn't want to. Keeping yourself oblivious to the feelings inside you might be better than coming to terms with them... it'd keep you out of trouble with Jack, to say the least.

          The further you walked, the more unrecognizable terrain surrounded you. Never had you explored deeper into the Droughts, so you weren't sure what exactly to expect. You never had a reason to, after all. It was a rather secluded area, where you didn't find much life other than the local fauna. 

          That being said, you were surprised to spot a figure in the distance. 

          It was standing on a cliff, wearing a rather big coat. There was a skag beside it, though it wasn't attacking the figure in any way. Squinting your eyes, you attempted to get a better look at the person. However, it was a hopeless cause, as the figure was just too far away for you to see. It turned towards the skag and pet it, shifting to look out to the desert. It's head then turned in your direction, though you couldn't tell if the person saw you or not.