Past

17..17 isn't a very huge number but neither very small. At 17 normally people my age think about future prospects,they think about girlfriend's and boyfriend's,the college they want to get into,what is currently new in trend,latest fashion updates etc etc,but i was left upon with a larger responsibilty, I had a very large family or thats what i thought. In reality family is a group of close knit people that stay together,not necessarily those bound to us by blood. The people or that person you have around when terror strikes is your family.

I am Rhea , Rhea Sharma, I lost my parents Parul and Aniket Sharma two years ago when i was merely 17 years old. The only person that keeps me alive happens to be my younger sister Sia. Sia was just 14 when the police called up on my cellphone to inform about my parents tragic accident. They were off to matheran (a small hill station in maharashtra, India) for their 18th wedding anniversary, I still remember them forcing us to accompany them.

"Rehu beta you to join us,stop changing Sia's decision" said dad,they were well aware that i wasn't letting Sia accompany them,afterall it was their anniversary and we were old enough to be alone for a few days or that's what i thought.

"mom tell dad we can survive a few days without his constant paternal guidance" mum starts laughing and gives me an assuring smile.

"Aniket let the girls live,they will have the caretaker to take care of them so take a chill pill"dad ,me and Sia started laughing sensing mum try to act all cool whereas we all knew she would be more petrified than dad.

They left early next morning and never came back.

Death takes away the soul of a person,but in our case even the bodies were gone. We never got to see them,apparently their car fell in the valley and so the bodies couldn't be found. It seemed very illogical and so I demanded to be taken to the accident spot,as i wasnt an adult i couldnt go alone so i was accompanied by my maternal aunt Rakul,she is mum's elder sister and stays in Gujarat but the moment she heard about the accident she flew down to be with us as she knew the paternal side of my family wouldnt be as greatful.

Reaching there we found that right beside the valley was a river and the police suspected that the bodies could have washed away due to the constantly flowing river.He said alot more things but i couldn't hear any further words as i was shocked,Rakul aunt kept sobbing and nodding her head at the questions directed towards her. We came back the next day and completed all the rituals, Sia would wake up in the middle of the night and start crying. Everyone cried,but i couldn't ,people used to murmur about me being cold hearted and all. Aunt would ignore their comments and tell them to shut up.

5 days later..

"Rhea dear what have you decided"

"about what masi(maternal aunt in hindi)??"

"you cant live alone for another year you either have to come with me or your grandma,take your time and decide "

"ok,i will ask Sia too and will let you know by tomorrow"

"fine beta,dont stress i know you are very brave and are old enough to decide for yourself"

passing on a smile to her i lie down and fall asleep.