six

NURSE  POV

I feel so awful for that mother. Losing her baby who isnt even 2 weeks old. I could imagine losing a child.

I looked down standing over the baby's lifeless body. "Im so sorry honey," I said and covered her with the blanket and began to wheel the stretcher to the morgue. I looked down at my feet pressing the elevator button. It took a few moments for it to get to my floor. Once I got into the elevator I pressed the button "bacement"

I kept my eyes on the floor getting out and heading to the morgue. "Hi Randy" I spoke to the male in the morgue.

"Who do we got" he asked.

"Infant, passed from pneumonia," I whispered.

He looked down and silence. "Parent consent to autopsy?" He asked.

"No, she just left. Barely would look at the death certificate or sign paperwork," I whispered.

He looked down. "I can take it from here," he said.

"Are you sure. I know cases like this are hard,"

"Yes. Can you come down while Im on break. We're short staffed today and I need someone to cover me for 15 minutes at break,"

"Of course Randy," I said.

I uncovered the blanket that was covering the child. Randy carefully lifted the infant up and placed her in one of the cold lockets.  I pushed the stretcher back out into the hallway and up to the room. I didnt speak a word.

"The room is ready to be cleaned," I said to house keeping.

"Thank you... Ill do that now," She said.

I looked down and sighed. I grabbed the paitents chart and began writing out by hand everything that happened today. Including time of death all the way to transporting her to the morgue.

I cant let this effect me, I have other paitents to see, even though cases like these do effect me. Its draining and overwhelming and just deeply sad.

I put the chart away and pulled out the new paitent I was assigned to. I flinches seeing it was a 2 month old child. Surgery today for cancer. I took a deep breath and walked into another room.

"Hi Im going to be your nurse today. How is everything going? Would you mind if I did a quick examination of Allison?" I asked

"Of course" the mother said looking stressed.

I took off my stethoscope and went to listen to her heart and lungs. "Fast heart rate and quick breaths," I said aloud. Well the breaths make since as it is lung cancer.

"When is the lung transplant?" She asked. "It seems she is only getting worse"

I sighed. "The surgery is booked for 3pm today," I said.

"Not soon enough," the mother murmered.

"Hey, we are doing everything quick but carefully as possible. The lung transplant is a very delicate procedure especially for a 2 month old," I said taking her hand.