Fallout

A/N: Thanks for waiting for The next chapter of Let It Be Slytherin ... Enjoy!!  

1 6

Fallout

It wasn't until late Friday night when Rodolphus Lestrange was finally released from the hospital wing. The sun had long since set and the broad windows were black, the only light coming from torches that lined the hallway Rodolphus walked through.

Despite himself, his senses stayed on high alert as he walked down the hallway. He didn't like vulnerability, and the light in the corridor meant he would be clearly visible to anyone watching from outside.

It was about time he was released from the hospital wing, he thought sourly as he turned towards the Slytherin dungeons. The last few days had been both painful and humiliating. That dark curse had been nastier than he thought, and the memory of Fletcher rebounding his curse on him made his temper boil. How had Fletcher even known the counter curse? Rodolphus didn't even know one existed, and he had been taught by the finest dark wizards the world had ever seen.

And yet Fletcher, a nobody transfer student, knew it. Rodolphus had spent the last day ruminating on him — Harry Fletcher, the Slytherin obsessed with Gryffindors who also happened to know dark magic. Who apparently took down James Potter earlier today in defense of Severus Snape. (Rodolphus had heard about it from Charles and Samuel after they found Severus in the hospital wing.) What the hell was Fletcher playing at?

It must be a broader game than they realized, Rodolphus reflected. Take down the head of Slytherin house, then the Head Boy. Soon he'd be leading the entire school. Was that his plan? What did Severus Snape have to do with it?

Eventually, Rodolphus rounded the corner to his dormitory, where he knew Samuel and Charles were waiting for him. It was time to figure out how to end Harry Fletcher.

He threw the door open and walked in with an air of authority. Inside, he found Charles leaning against the wall and Samuel sitting on his bed flipping through a magazine.

"Ahhhh he's back!" Samuel commented.

"At long last." Lestrange growled. "I practically had to beg Pomfrey to release me."

"I'd say congratulations on a kickass malum perdere," Charles started, his eyes amused. "But—" he was cut off as Rodolphus numbly plucked a pillow from his bed and flung it at him with a satisfied look.

"Hey!" Charles protested, his eyes still smirking.

"Is Fletcher here?" Rodolphus asked, cutting straight to the chase. He knew Severus was still in the hospital wing.

"Uhh, I think so." Samuel said.

"Are you sure??" Rodolphus asked intently. "Are you positive?"

"He's in the common room." Charles said, shifting so he was sitting up. Rodolphus glanced at the door before walking to flank Harry's bed post.

"Don't either of you think its concerning that our new roommate just happens to know the counter to Malum Perder? One of the most obscure dark curses there are." Rodolphus said, folding his arms. He looked at Charles then Samuel, whose eyes widened.

"And then just happened to cast it on you." Samuel said.

"And now," Rodolphus declared. "Fletcher is hanging around Severus."

"Right when he gets a missive from the Dark Lord." Charles said.

"He's dangerous." Rodolphus said in a low voice. "This must be part of a grander plan. And if he intercepts Severus, or knows about us, he could land us in Azkaban."