Chapter twenty-four

I took another punch to the jaw. I accidentally bit down on my tongue, as I hit my back against the wall. Blood started to fill my mouth. 

I chuckle at the situation, I managed to sidestep a bunch of them but turns out these fuckers were following me since the bridge. A team of five laughing at me as they watch me struggle to find my bearings.

"Lookie here, better keep this one still breathing-"

I spit blood at him, challenging him to try his luck. He wipes it from his face and with a roar, he swings again. I duck underneath and shove the shard of metal into his exposed ribs. Kneeing it deeper in, I grab the makeshift axe.

Swinging it from underneath, it chips away at his skin as he narrowly avoids my upwards slash.

Completely overwhelmed by their numbers and weight, I was pinned to the ground as they flip out a knife. I gather the moisture in my mouth as I ready to helplessly defend myself on the ground.

"Carve him up. The boss doesn't care about his body he just wants his head!"

"What the fuck was that?!"

Something sounds off at the back, a weapon of some kind mixed with a few grunts, I then take this opportunity to strike amidst the confusion.

I spit at the one hovering over me, then lifting my head to bash his nose in with my forehead. Grabbing his knife I lodge it into his eye. As I stumble backwards, I hold my hand against the wound in my shoulder trying to stem the bleeding before I open the wound even further.

I slowly slide down to my behind, I tilt my head at the duo as I feel my head go light-headed.

A man, dual-wielding weapons I have never seen before along with a woman with some form of a railgun. I glance at the ones they killed... black burn marks in their body with a trail of smoke above their wounds.

I weakly chuckle, "I had that-"

"Sure. You look less alive than them," she looks me into my eyes and then she lifts my hand off of the wound in my arm, "He lost a lot of blood. Do you think you can cover our backs?"

He nods, "Always. You have any idea how to get out of this hole?"

"Well... I patch him up and you shoot them a few times and I make sure they stay dead? We repeat until we start seeing people shooting the same things."

"Sounds like a plan," he doesn't seem too sure about it himself.

She then steps back as she aims the gun towards me, "Keep still," with not much time to react she blast a laser of light into my body. I feel like my whole body has been cleansed and put back together at the same time.

I feel for the wound in my mouth and my shoulder only to find that it miraculously healed.

"The world just got a whole lot crazier," I chuckle, they both shoot me a glance as if I said something I shouldn't, "I am going to just assume that you are on my side."

"For now," the woman shrugs, "Are those explosions your doing?"

I nod, "Yes."

She narrows her eyes at me, I can tell she doesn't like me already, "Name's Senna, his is Lucian. Try not to slow us down with more unnecessary slaughter."

I lift myself to my feet, "I appreciate the help-"

She scoffs as she rests the massive weapons on her shoulders as she heads towards Lucian, "Don't thank us yet. We still have to get you out of here. Time to go."

He then looks over his shoulder at me and then back at her, "This is what we came for? I'll trust your judgement but I think Akali got the wrong guy."

"Kid was being beaten up in an alley and we have been tracking him since he came into Zaun," they then push into the empty street, "I just hope we aren't making a mistake."

"The mistake would be trusting the future of a city to someone like him," he grumbles, "Look around. The streets are empty and people are running scared - are we sure he isn't just another monster that needs purifying?"

I then raise my perspective on the matter, "These people are already struck with fear considering the control of the cult. My evil is a necessary evil, the difference is I am willing to bear that burden," am I really? 

At least I got better at lying through my teeth.

Senna answers, "Right now K/DA wants you alive and that is enough for us."

The silence that then hangs in the air is then broken with Chaos. A lot of things are telling me to head towards it but I might just walk into another ambush. 

Before I could even say it Senna stops be, "Your people are scattered and broken. What little resistance is left has already retreated-"

Although meant to reassure me, it only sent me in a state of panic. We had a lot of people in on this - my plan was mostly to create a small distraction by targetting stockpiles while I take care of one of their biggest advantages.

It has all gone to shit.

It wasn't long before my feet start dragging me towards the gunfire. As I reach the scene I see a few familiar faces. As soon as they spot me I was tossed a weapon as I slide into cover next to Tobias.

"What happened?"

He grunts as he lifts his hand from his middle, "I am afraid our luck drowned out," he coughs as he then shifts on his behind, holding a red card in his hand, "Mind throwing this thing?"

I take it and throw it in the direction of the oncoming fire, the card erupts into a ball of flame.

"Get yourself and these people out of here," I glance over from my cover, "Where is the rest?"

"Disappeared within the first wave. Jinx and Braum stayed behind to make sure the rest of the teams could get out," he laughs, "Crazy girl probably just wanted them all for herself. She has Braum with her so she is in good hands."